Little Caesar
---------------
-----
Fish Guru
Kudos: 548
Votes: 0
male usa
I am currently down on vacation on the east coast of
Florida, and the sand on the beach looks as if it would make a nice aquarium substrate. It is not your "typical" beach sand...it is more of a brownish terra-cotta color and ive noticed that it is composed almost 100% of shell matter.

I lately have been thinking of getting a bigger tank sometime in the near future when i have a little more $$$, ..for african cichlids....because im starting to miss the yellow labs i used to have. so I think this substrate would look nice..and it would save me some money.

Do you guys think that this would work out, as long as i collect it carefully to make sure that it is clean and then I boil it for a little while? It looks really nice...similar to crushed coral, ..and it looks really natural so i would like to use it if i can.

~*~ Caviar? no thanks! ~*~
Post InfoPosted 25-Jun-2006 19:46Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

It should be fine for African Cichlids, just as long as you rinse it really well (or boil it for added security).

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jun-2006 20:47Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Little Caesar
---------------
-----
Fish Guru
male usa
ok, thats what i thought. thanks for reassuring me.

(*gets up off lazy butt and walks to beach to collect sand*)

Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2006 00:29Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
Don't want to rain on your parade, but in some areas it's illegal to take sand from the beaches. Don't know if that's the case where you are at, but you may want to check before removing it. I wouldn't want you to get a ticket for doing so.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2006 04:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
If you are allowed to collect it good luck. But I would give a very good washing even a very fine seive before you take it home also give it a good boiling just to be on the safe side.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2006 08:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daeraelle
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 16
Votes: 9
female usa
EditedEdited by daeraelle
I'm in Fernandina, on the East Coast, and we have sand like that, not sure where you're staying though. It's illegal to take the sand or plants from the dunes, but I don't think taking the sand on the beach is really a problem. Yeah, I'd boil it, there are all kinds of little critters living in it. I have freshwater tanks, so I don't use it for that, but I do use the sand for my hermit crabs.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2006 14:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Little Caesar
---------------
-----
Fish Guru
male usa
Yeah, im at ormond beach, right north of daytona beach. I dont think it is illegal. i know what u mean about the dunes, but i think that it is ok from the beach....i suppose i could just sneak out there at night...the beach is literally across the street from our house.

but im thinking twice, cuz i hate cleaning stuff. i think ill take the lazy way out and just buy some..lol. i have been collecting some nice coquina rocks though.

Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2006 21:20Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Little Caesar
---------------
-----
Fish Guru
male usa
so im using the beach sand now and my fish LOVES it. i got a kenyi cichlid to live alone in a 10 gallon, and she digs in the sand and it cleans very well too. and looks VERY nice.

Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2006 01:24Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies