AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Bottom Feeder Frenzy
  L# Did you know the clown loach is a popular doradid??
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeDid you know the clown loach is a popular doradid??
sora
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 96
Votes: 134
male usa
Ok so i was surfing the web last night and found this.

http://www.angelfire.com/ok5/ryan_88/doradidae.html

I laughed for like 5 minutes. I mean come on thats just stupid. a clown loach isnt a popular doradid. its not even a member of the family. heck it isnt even a catfish! I have to wonder where he got this information. anyways i just thought id share this with you guys.

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2008 04:01Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Surprisingly, you can't believe everything you read on the internet.

I can see how they could make the confusion, though. CLs have barbels and they can make clicking noises. It's not a huge leap of logic to assume that they're doradids.
Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2008 16:55Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Altpower
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 22
Votes: 10
male canada
That site seems pretty amateur. A lot of the information is from this guy's personal opinions on fish.

But then again it's a personal website. I wouldn't trust much information posted on any angelfire, tripod, or geocites sites to be accurate and factually sound.
Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2008 19:34Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
The only thing i could think of that would make him think the clown loach was a doradid was the barbels. i didnt even think of the clicking lol so a good point there Joe. ok so its not as off base as i thought but still. If he had done a little research, just a little then the page would be alot more accurate. I already know not to trust a few sites. Ive added angelfire to my list. i always double check stuff i read on those sites. just the other day i found the wikipedia page for striped raphaels. it said that some members of the doradid family had been introduced into the southren united states. it didnt provide a reference. I really really really doubt its true.

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 14-Apr-2008 02:29Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
hmmm Well my first clue looking at the page was the fact that he has both Clown Loaches and Crayfish listed as profiles of the Doridae but thats just me.

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 14-Apr-2008 19:33Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Shinigami
Judging by the first sentence, he seems to believe that Doradidae is the family that includes all bottom feeders. Thus, the clown loach, a popular bottom feeder, would be a doradid.

just the other day i found the wikipedia page for striped raphaels. it said that some members of the doradid family had been introduced into the southren united states. it didnt provide a reference. I really really really doubt its true.

I wouldn't altogether doubt that raphaels have been introduced into the southern US. A lot of other tropical fish have already been introduced in Florida and Texas, such as common plecs and cichlids. Fishbase doesn't have any data on that, though. Also, there is a difference between introduced and established, when an introduced species actually survives and proliferates (common plecs and some cichlids like Oscars are probably established, though). PS. I worked on that page, but that fact was probably there already. Rather than taking facts off, I usually tag them as unreferenced, although some facts I have left are extremely dubious.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 14-Apr-2008 22:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Very good point shinigami. There is difference a between introduced and established. I can see people just letting their fish out into local water. my bad lol. guess i wasnt paying attention

Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2008 03:05Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies