SubscribeBabies??? I must be doing something right
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
EditedEdited by monkeyboy
Ok, I know that I know enough about fish. But I know I'm no expert and certainly not in it to breed them. And please forgive me, I tried my best with my camera. But please someone verify these. But do these not look like my angels spawned and some are on the way?

I've been watching them since I just seen the eggs, but it looks like my Dark Marble (Female) and one of my Silvers (male) is the parents and watching them defend that area is only conferming this.

eggs on intake

new parents

mommy and daddy

and after watching the rest of them, looks like my Double Black (female) paired up with my other Silver (male)

and my viel tail and smokey looks like their on their own. I was able to determine the sexs after alota searching and looking at pics.

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2007 02:58Profile PM Edit Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

HA! Congratulations Dad!
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2007 03:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
I didn't think angel eggs could stick sideways.... They have to sit on top of something and will fall down to the gravel if they aren't. At least that's how I always heard of angels spawning and what the eggs of cichlids I've had (such as rams) were like. What else is in the tank? Usually bottom dwellers or snails are the cause of eggs sticking to the side of something.
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2007 04:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
EditedEdited by Gone_Troppo
Hi Monkeyboy

Congrats! It certainly does looks like your angels have been spawning.

Seems that filter intake pipes are a favourite spawning site for angels. My pair really like the intake of the HOB and they usually spawn just as the pipe is due to be removed and unblocked / cleaned. I seem to recall that Doedogg mentioned in chat that her angels had spawned on a filter pipe too.

Well done on determining gender too... the only way I worked out which was which in my pair was that the female must have been the one laying the eggs!

Are you planning on trying to raise the fry?

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2007 04:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bob Wesolowski
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1462
male usa
Sham,

Many old breeders felt the same way but used either slate at an angle in the tank then glass plates. The spawning surfaces also made it easy to move the eggs to a nursery aquarium.

The breeders stripped everything from the tank because the angels like their discus kin would lay on anything that was remotely upright - heaters, risers, plant leaves, my Uncle Stash who hasn't really been upright in years.

Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2007 10:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
well i got home from work and those eggs was gone. think they eated them up last night. sad news for them. but my other angels that paired up decided to spawn today. this time on slate which i'm going to put in a very large specimin container once i can get it out.

Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2007 03:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
Congrats again monkeyboy... seems like either something has changed to the liking of the angelfish, or they have just hit maturity.

Good luck with raising the fry... we've never really attempted that with ours.. they spawn in the main tank and either the parents or the other fish eat the eggs pretty quickly.

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2007 04:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
i'm thinking they finally hit maturity. As the tank is setup the same since day one. Only thing I do to it now and then is clean the water pumps in the tank.

but I pulled the slate and have it in another small tank till they hopefully hatch.. and if so, i have one of those in tank breeder nets that people use for guppies to raise them up.

Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2007 01:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
Don't put the fry in a breeders net, it's not good. It's better to put them in another tank & raise them there. Always use a sponge filter, so the fry don't get sucked & try to feed them some Microworms & Live Brine shrimp for the first few weeks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2007 20:12Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
no place in my place for any more thanks. and i honestly really dont want a 5th tank.

i was only going to try the net because i have no place else to put them where they wouldnt become food.

Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2007 22:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

I read somewhere once about someone that had problems with the eggs getting fungused & dying. He also said during the transfer process that the eggs shouldn't be exposed to the air any longer than necessary. What he said he did during the transfer process to make sure he had healthy eggs from then on was to quickly pour hydrogen peroxide over the eggs when he took them out before placing the slate into the hatching tank. You might keep this in mind if you find your eggs aren't surviving in the future.

I wish you luck!
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2007 22:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
The Angels might suck the fry from the hanging net.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2007 00:05Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
well i have javamoss in another tank, i could try to tie a think layer to the outsides of this holder

Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2007 02:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RickyM
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 101
Votes: 62
male canada
Angelfish are good parents. They will raise their own frys in most of the cases. For young parents, it may take a few batches for them to develop the instinct - don't worry, they'll spawn every 7 - 10 days. You did not mention what other fish you have in the tank. In a community tank, it is difficult for the frys to survive.

I do not see what's the use of the breeding trap for breeding angelfish.
Post InfoPosted 21-Oct-2007 06:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
again, no othertank to grow them a little larger in. But from my profile, heres whats also in the tank: 2 Zebra Danios, 2 Yoyo Loaches, 7 Clown loaches, 3 red tail black sharks, 2 Opaline Gourami, 6 angels, 3 Coolie Loaches, 1 Tiger Pleco, 1 Zebra Pleco, 1 Whiptail catfish.

But their still in the specimin container as of now and i see all kinds of little eyes and their wiggling all over the place right now.

Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2007 01:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
Heres the babies in the net in the big tank. yes the angels are trying to get to them, but the mesh is to fine for them to get at them

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/monkeyboy000/babies/IMG_0231.jpg

Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2007 00:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies