---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Heres what all the death , violence, maiming, water changes, fish moving and tank restocking was for. Batch of eggs number four was laid close to the glass, and within macro range. So for those who have never gotten a really good look at freshly laid acara eggs , heres a pic.

[link]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a245/longhairedgit/IMG_3782.jpg [/link]

and this what happens when you forget to put triple sulfa or other antifungals in the water. Bugger.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a245/longhairedgit/IMG_3808.jpg

Oh well,plenty more where they came from!
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2007 06:09Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
leachim
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 23
Votes: 2
male canada
sorry about the eggs
but great pics
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2007 19:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Whoa! NICE PICS! What plant are they laid on? The swordplant? Will the parents eat the eggs? Anyways, I still love the cichlids, and i still want the blue acara!!!!!!!! CICHLIDS!!!!!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2007 22:59Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Dangerous Dave
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 179
Votes: 3
male australia
Nice pics.

Are those snail eggs in between some of the acara eggs?
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 01:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
male uk
No, the tiny dots are the first signs of fungus feeding on the fluid that covers the eggs after laying, The few already white eggs are "slugs" - infertile eggs that are pretty much solid protien and are opaque. Snials have been successgully eliminated from that particular tank. The acara eggs are little bigger than a pinhead, and a snail egg would be about half the size, and probably laid in a cluster.

The plant is an Echinodorus parviflorus, basically yes, an amazon sword.

The famale ate half the eggs on day two, then abandoned them. I got rid of the eggs by clipping off the leaf and removing it, and at that precise time she decided to readadopt the eggs and attack me! The pair are already cleaning up another leaf , and getting ready to go again!
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 02:06Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
Great photos, LHG.

And good luck with any future spawnings. Are there any plans for the off-spring? or are you looking to increase your numbers of the acara's?

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 02:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
male uk
Lol no, 8 adult acaras are quite enough for me, I shall sell most of the offspring to the 3 LFS 's near me, and I have 4 of the biggest of roughly 600 fry segregated and coming along well to be given to a friend starting a 75 gallon tank. To be honest I have so many fry with such a low mortality rate at the moment even with the parent picking off the odd crippled one, I think my rainbowfish might get a bonus feed before long if a few more dont die off. Even the LFS can only take so many.

Ill post a pic of the developing fry in a few more days when I consider the risk to their health from the camera flash negligible.Most of them dont have fully developed retinas yet, and I dont want to blind them.

In future I may actually have to resort in dumping eggs, which is a shame,but these 8 acaras , unfortunately all perfect breeding pairs as it turns out, are turning my house into a fish factory, and the workload is killing me!

Why did I have to get a 50/50 split on sexes when I bought them ? Gaaaaahh!
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 03:57Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk

Some would envy you your good fortune as regards breeding LHG.

As for fungus, pop down to your LFS and look out for Tetra FungiStop. This is what I use with my Panda Cory eggs. If it's capable of keeping fungus at bay and leaving delicate Panda Cory eggs unharmed, it should be fine with your Blue Acara eggs. Should be about £3 a bottle, and you only need to dose the once - a full bottle should treat around 180 gallons. So if you have your Acaras in a 55, one bottle will keep fungus at bay for three separate spawns, with a bit left over.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2007 11:58Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
male uk
Well, the first batches of fry went to the lfs's yesterday (chi-ching), their growth rate was ludicrous!

And while i dint get much of a good deal I did get some nice indian gouramis for nothing,and a load of filter foam. I always fancied them as a healthier and tougher alternative to dwarf gouramis, who in the shops at the moment are so crap and crippled looking thanks to colour selection that I no longer consider them worth owning, Im certainly not going to encourage those genetic lines.

I picked four pairs who are aleady showing an interest in each other and hopefully they will do well, they certainly look happy in the new aquarium, although granted I set it up the same day (naughty git) but I cheated.

I have loads of filters and media, and decor exactly the same , so two other tanks did the donation thing (for god sake dont let it get out that you can have an instant cycled tank in 30 minutes!) Tested the water this morning, not a ppm difference from the donator tanks. Its all set up with plants and mature filtration and water,decor, mature gravel,etc and in effect this previously non existant tank was never had water in it offline for more than 10 minutes.

Tested it this morning 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, nitrate 20 ppm, and the temp of the water only dropped 1 degree f during the whole procedure. The gouramis look fine if a little shellshocked, but then this species is usually nervous for several days after a move.

How do people spennd a whole day doing this?

Here is the aforementioned fish.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a245/longhairedgit/IMG_4037.jpg

Oh yes. another 350 odd acara eggs this morning. , I promise ill get ya some fry pics this time.Im done worrying about the mortality rate this time, ploppy the polypterus will be getting most of them this time. I just saturated the market for about four counties.lol I feel like the guy who created the atom bomb, "what have I done?" think of all the suffering to humans I just caused

This isnt a house any more, its a knocking shop for fish! Im so tired!
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2007 10:31Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
Great shot of that gourami, Git, and what a gorgeous fish. I still don't understand why it's necessary to keep trying to genetically modify the colors of fish when there are so many that are much more beautiful.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2007 04:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies