Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 75
Votes: 99
female canada
EditedEdited by Mitchee
Hi folks!

Just want your opinions on bolivian rams and guppies as well as bolivians with redeye tetras and tiger barbs. Would they work in any of these situations?

Thanks much!

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2008 04:31Profile PM Edit Report 
curtur
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
male newzealand
EditedEdited by curtur
I have 2 bolivian rams in my 130ltr community tank with various tetras inc. neons, glass bloodfins and penguin tetras. They have not caused a single problem - they pretty much ignore all of the other fish.
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2008 13:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
female canada
Thanks for replying Curtur. I'm hoping to get 2 or 3 to go in my 42G tall with the redeyes and tiger barbs and one in my guppy tank.

Cheers!

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2008 19:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I am looking forward to reading this thread as it develops. I am making plans to set up my 55g this spring and I would love for my feature fish to be 2-3 Bolivians.

I keep Tiger Barbs in a 20g, and they are very, very active and nippy. If you do decide to go with them, get a decent sized shoal (6-10) built up so they stay with their own and don't feel the need to harrass other tankmates.

As for the Bolivians, I don't know how they'd do with TB's. I am curious to hear other people's responses.
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2008 02:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
female canada
I'm going to wait until I have more responses on this. I had another thread going on "Badly Wounded Cherry Barb" where it was determined that my lone tiger barb had attacked it and it subsequently died from its injuries.

If I do go ahead with the rams, I most certainly will bump up my tiger barb population to 6.

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2008 04:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Kudos: 138
Votes: 13
female usa us-massachusetts
EditedEdited by catdancer
Never ever keep a tiger barb alone or in small groups, your's is the classical example what will happen if done so.
Regarding your question about compatibility, Bolivian Rams are mildly tempered little cichlids which do not interact much with other fish. Keep several of them, they like to socialize with their own kind - they are not loners. Regardless of the acquisition of rams, increase the population of tiger barbs to 6!!!
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2008 05:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
female canada
Thanks for replying Catdancer. Appreciate your comments!

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 12:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
rainsford
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 8
Votes: 0
male australia
Hi there, thought I'd add my six cents worth...I have a pair of Bolivian. They are so shy it's amazing. They are fit and healthy and interact when and if they choose. They are a large male and large female - hopefully they may spawn...I wish!
Meanwhile their best friend is my Geophagus Jarapuri. The pair of Bolivians follow the Geophagus (George) around and copy whatever he does. It's quite cute. George will turn around sometimes and give them a nudge as if to say, leave me alone, but their always right there, two strokes behind him. I have a few cardinals in there too and everyone seems to be happy as Larry.
Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2008 04:02Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Might find that Geophagus causes a few problems as it gets older, might find the odd tetra goes missing, the odd ram gets beaten up. Tetras disappearing will be the geophagus wanting a touch of extra food, the rams might get beaten up if it gets tetchy about territory. Geophagus Jurupari are generally considered peaceful, but Ive certainly seen males get thunderously aggressive with males of their own and closely related species, and a feature of many of the geophagus , firemouths, and a few other closely related cichlids is partner persecution and mate refusal. Few fish can resist something less than a tenth of their own size, IMHO its pushing it. At near on 10 inches a jurupari will be too big to house with tetras long term. A tetra is merely a chicken mcnugget to one of these guys.

The following youre seeing might be a subtle version of mobbing, making the potential predator aware that they are keeping an eye on him, therefore making themselves less likely to become his immediate choice for dinner. People often assume its buddying up, but actually the reverse is true. Keep your friends close but your enemies closer kind of thing, in a tank where you cant escape, it becomes a viable behavioural option for many fish. Often , it literally saves their lives.A jurupari might not be aware of its potential in its formative years, but the rams and tetras will be taking nothing for granted, they probably already know he has some potential as a threat.

Bolivians though are usually ok in community with small fish as long as the tanksize isnt pushed to the minimum, and reasonably social as they may be , they are still a pair bonding cichlid, and disputes and competition for mates can and do happen, so perfect pairs are desireable, as is the lack of overstocking them.

Tigerbarbs are often fin nippers and even though a large shoal will remove social pressures from their own species, guppies might still find themselves on the "To be nipped" list. Basic rule of thumb, flowy fins and fin nippers are like fuel and fire. Seen tiger barbs take a shot at adult congo tetras,risking a stern return attack, a guppy in comparison has no defence. In community , tigerbarbs should always be one of the least physically significant fish present. They can make the lives of smaller fish hell. Some nip, some dont, but youll always wish that if they do nip, the other fish can back them down. It pays to plan ahead for that rather than just optimistically hoping they wont go for vulnerable species.

Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2008 09:11Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies