Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGerman Ram Pair Question
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Compare the cost of a ram to a discus and it doesn't look that expensive. lol Our apartment stays at 68-72F and I was adding the rams to a tank with no other fish so I dropped the tank temp to 76F which was about the temp of their bag when I got them home. Then after they were in the tank I brought it up slowly to 78F which the lfs tanks were at. Then over the next 2days I raised them to 82F where I wanted the tank. That way I didn't have any worries about bucket temp but I also normally use a 1 or 3g bucket with a smaller diameter than a 5g so the water is deeper and if I wanted to I could add my small 15w heater.
Post InfoPosted 19-May-2006 23:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
sham,

Great idea to lower the tank temp, but as you pointed out - this is probably done best when the tank has no fish in yet. Although, I could imagine that a well planned addition of new fish would allow you to lower the tank temp over a few days in advance of a new purchase.

And yes, I agree, Rams are cheaper that discus, but at $20 a piece in my LFS (most of the time the quality of fish is very good) not cheap enough to function as a guinea pig .

A heater is also good, I guess I should consider buying a really small (in wattage) one, just in case.

Thanks,

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 20-May-2006 11:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bob Wesolowski
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1462
male usa
EditedEdited by Bob Wesolowski
$20 a fish! For rams?

Psst, wanna buy a fish?

Three for $10 here. You really need to find a fish club...

Post InfoPosted 21-May-2006 05:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Bob,

Yeah, I know - the prices in the LFS where I buy most of my fish are pretty steep, but they for sure have the best quality in the greater NY area, or at least this is what I tell myself to accept the loads of cash I shell out for my fishies.

And about a club: I was going to join one last week, but personal reasons (wife had to work late and I had to watch the kids) delayed that event to maybe next month. This would be the NJAS, or North Jersey Aquarium Society

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 21-May-2006 11:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies