AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Cichlid Central
  L# Have home softwater system...how do I make water a little harder, please?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHave home softwater system...how do I make water a little harder, please?
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 68
Votes: 3
male usa
EditedEdited by daddySEAL
I have softwater filter system installed in my house, and my water test kit shows it to be at the very very soft end of the scale.

How do I make my 55g tank water a little harder for my cichlids, please?

What should I add to get it up into the mid-range, please?
(for the 55g)
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2008 15:10Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Hey, welcome to FishProfiles!

Carbonates (and bicarbonates) are what you want. Cichlid tanks often contain limestone or other calcium carbonate-containing rocks and substrates in the tank itself that will help buffer the water. This alone can be quite effective, so you might not necessarily have to play with the water as long as you don't do enormous water changes, which could cause the pH to drop significantly every time you do a water change. You can also dose the water that you add with sodium bicarbonate, which will also buffer the water and raise the pH.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2008 19:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Thanks Shinigami,
I typically do 1/3 tank water changes. Would that be "enormous" in this case?

OK, I'll use bicarbinate of soda powder from a box...it would be easy to add(about how much for my 55g tank?). And test strip the water on water changes.
(could a limestone rock in my tank ever get the water Too Hard?)

And are there other minerals my cichlids would be helthier having in their environment?

dS
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2008 22:09Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
daddyseal, dont put all of the bicarbonate in at once!
you could shock the fish... i dont dose for my tanks, but with any additive, you dont want to just throwing stuff in, do like a pinch at a time... measure out how much you need in say a ziplock then take a pinch a day or so until the hardness is where it needs to be.

GOOD LUCK!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2008 03:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Thank you, Brandeeno

Adding it a little bit over time...to not quickly change the water chemistry (and shock the little fish)is something I already knew to be wise.

About how much would I put in the plastic bag to slowly introduce into a 55g tank to reach a mid-range of hardness, please?
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2008 04:05Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
A 1/3 water change could indeed have a pretty significant affect. I am not completely sure if this would actually cause a swing in pH, though; to tell the truth playing with hardness and pH is something I don't do on my tanks so I'm not sure to what extreme this can be taken. I was thinking more along a 1/10th water change, but you can only do this regularly if your bioload is pretty low; if you added freshwater to a tank with a lot of limestone it wouldn't make that great of an effect. Thus, my opinions is that buffering of the water you add is a good idea for your water changing regime.

It is not possible for the hardness to be too high, this is restrained by the ability of water to hold carbonates. The maximum amount of carbonate in the water is quite fine and will hold your pH at the just-right level. You could fill the whole tank up with limestone or other calcareous or carbonate-containing rocks and it'd look pretty good, on top of keeping your pH up.

The amount of bicarbonate necessary depends on your water. Basically you'll have to try it out yourself to see the necessary dosage.

Fish do pick up minerals and salts from their environment, but most fish are quite fine picking up many of their necessary nutrients from their food. There are "cichlid salts" that you can buy, but I'm not sure if these are anything more than sodium or potassium bicarbonate.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2008 04:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
OK Shinigami,
I'll keep an eye on the water test strips....and only change about 9 gallons of water every 10 days, or so.

I'll get some limestone rocks and put them in the back of the tank. That will look good with the Greek Ruins background paper (like temple rubble, or such)

thanks
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2008 14:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
freejoe

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 227
Votes: 756
male canada ca-alberta
Are your outside taps hooked up to the soft water system as well, usually they are not. I would check that out and if it is fill your buckets for water changes from that source

The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an bacon and egg breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2008 19:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
You are right, freejoe.
They are regular city water (hard, etc.)

I had thought of that, but kind of enjoyed using the filtered water and not having to declorinate it, and can drain,refill and regulate the temperature to match the remaining tank water...all from one kitchen faucet and sink.

I think I'll continue using "house water" for my non-cichlid community tank. But switch to the unfiltered city water for my cichlid tank. I guess a 5 to 9 gallon cold "yard water" change would be OK, if I introduced it slowly to mix with the 78 degree tank water.

Thanks
I still will look for a few sea shells...they would look cool for a "sunken greek ruins" background.
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2008 19:38Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
you could also let the water sit in a bucket or water container until it warmed up before letting your fish have the new water. this will allow you to make sure the water is safe for the fish by letting you dechlorinate it, letting any parasite etc die, and letting oyu get the hardness you desire. also if you want just add a pinch or two of bicarbonate to help out... you could use up to a table spoon... but i woudl stay away from anything to drastic... the rocks will help alot too!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2008 03:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Your ideas sound good.

please tell me what parasites you think might be in the city water, please?

thanks!
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2008 14:20Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies