Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHelp Identifying A Fish
jefferysgirl
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 91
female usa
EditedEdited by jefferysgirl
i just bought a cichlid. it is supposedly from south america. however none of the ones i have seen from south america look like mine. heres a pic http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v359/southern_babe1/fishes/?action=view&current=cichlid011.jpg Can someone please tell me which one it is. Also, can someone tell me if it is male or female or at least how i can tell?
Post InfoPosted 02-May-2006 04:29Profile Homepage ICQ AIM PM Edit Report 
Dangerous Dave
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 179
Votes: 3
male australia
EditedEdited by Dangerous Dave
That fish is definately African. I would say almost definately that it is a a male due to the egg spots on the anal fin. As to the species, I would say maybe a johanni?
Post InfoPosted 02-May-2006 05:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jefferysgirl
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
from the pictures of the johanni it looks like they have spots of blue on black. My fish is striped bright blue on dark blue. Would that make him a different species or just a common variation?
Post InfoPosted 02-May-2006 07:00Profile Homepage ICQ AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Dangerous Dave
----------
Hobbyist
male australia
I used to keep johanni, and the male was very similar to the one in your picture. I may be wrong, but it looks to me to be a johanni. Many of the afrcian cichlids can look very similar, so it may well be another species.

Good luck
Post InfoPosted 02-May-2006 09:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jefferysgirl
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
thanks. I was just thinking of getting a female or 2. I found two fish that looked very similar to mine. The only problem is that one species has orange/yellow females and the others females just look like faded version of the males. just trying to figure out which color to get!
Post InfoPosted 02-May-2006 18:03Profile Homepage ICQ AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Dangerous Dave
----------
Hobbyist
male australia
The female johannis are yellow in colour. Only the males are blue.
Post InfoPosted 03-May-2006 01:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jefferysgirl
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Thanks, is there any special treatment that johanni need? like favorite plants or substrate? i've looked at lots of other sites but their recommendations are bordering on the ridiculous. I cant possibly afford that mich stuff for a single fish... ehh. i'll just have add things as i get the money.
Post InfoPosted 04-May-2006 04:12Profile Homepage ICQ AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
jawmes
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 0
I saw this thread and I was wondering if someone would like to help me ID my fish also?
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b281/jawmes/Jeffrey4.jpg
Post InfoPosted 05-May-2006 09:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kmlubahn6609
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 127
Votes: 2
female usa
i was thinking male johannii or make chipokae

I've got a fever... and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2006 00:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
kmlubahn6609
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 127
Votes: 2
female usa
Here are some pics of my johannii so you can compare
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f119/kmlubahn6609/morepics018.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f119/kmlubahn6609/Morecichlids007.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f119/kmlubahn6609/TinasCichlids006.jpg

I've got a fever... and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2006 00:18Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
jefferysgirl
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
EditedEdited by jefferysgirl
On that last picture, yours has more than one yellow spot on its bottom fin. Are they all supposed to have more than one or is it an age thing?
Post InfoPosted 19-May-2006 14:05Profile Homepage ICQ AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
inkodinkomalinko
---------------
-----
Fish Guru
Kudos: 833
male usa
Jawmes, it looks like a red devil, either turning colors or suffering from black spot disease. Test your nitrites if they are high.
Post InfoPosted 20-May-2006 00:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
The first post of this thread and pic of a fish is definitely of the Melanochromis genus. However, its species remains to be seen. There are several species of the male being blue, from light blue to deep blue. And several of them will look very close in color. The only true way to tell, is to find info of properly ID this fish. In other words; fin counts, fin measurements, body part placements, mature size of fish, etc. Find all the info that differs each Melanochromis which has a blue male. Then test your fish against the info. In the end, it may even be a hybrid of two different species of Melanochromis. Especially if it was not sold with a species name.

As for its sex, I would not say. Though probably a male, several of the species have females that will develope some egg spots.

Personally, as to not risk cross breeding, I would not purchase any females to breed with him. As by not knowing the exact species, you could end up with a hybrid. Though it is totally up to you, most hobbyist are against hybrids.

As for the johannii all having orange/yellow females, this is false. There are two color variants from the lake. One with orange/yellow females, while the other has blue females. The species with blue females was actually the first to be discovered and brought into the hobby. The species with the orange female varient is the newer discovered one.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 20-May-2006 03:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies