female usa
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2006 23:58Profile PM Edit Report 
stripedcichlid
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 46
Votes: 127
male usa
im pretty sure it is. you also can't keep JDs with platies.
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2006 00:42Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
sand
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 77
Votes: 0
female usa
EditedEdited by sand
hahahaha. he's new, so i'm keeping him separated from the other fish, but i didnt want him to be lonely, so him and the platys are together for now
i know those were terrible pix, so thx for looking!
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2006 01:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 57
Votes: 1
male canada
Ya thats a for sure a Jack Dempsey fry, even when there that small they will chase and nip at those platies fins, so keep an eye on that combo, when are you moving him to a new tank?
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2006 02:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sand
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
EditedEdited by sand
I'm so glad to hear from two of you that he's a Jack D.! that's what i wanted. well i want to get him used to eating from the top of the water, not just the bottom, so I'm keeping him in this little tank with the platys for a week or so. plus you never know if he's healthy as he came from petsmart. he gets along fine with the platys, in fact he's usually quite dark and colorful since they've been together. he looked quite pale in the store. he got a little pale when i moved the tank up on the kitchen counter to take the pix. BUT when he's with his platy girlfriend he's quite colorful and he shows his fins off nicely. he's quite a little man i guess! or he's a pretty girl! hahahah. he doesn't seem to like any of the food i've tried EXCEPT the dried out bloodworms. he spits out the rest. at least i think he's still spitting it out. when i come home at the end of the day the food is gone but platys could have ate it all. so anyway i want to keep my eyeball on him for a week or 3.
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2006 04:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sand
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
how fast will he grow?
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2006 04:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
stripedcichlid
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 46
Votes: 127
male usa
They're known to be slow growers but not as slow as a green terror though. blood worms are too high in protein for cichlids so feed it sparingly. once it gets hungry it will eat anything.
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2006 00:19Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
I don't think there slow growers at all, mine seemed to grow like weeds. I had a 55gallon and I bought 5 , they grew really fast, and they love floating cichlid pellets, get the mini ones for the juvenile, if you want to see some nice colors come out in them, get some algae wafers and break them into little bits that will fit in its mouth, they love pecking at them.
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 16:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sand
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
EditedEdited by sand
well it's almost 2 months since i 1st posted this. he's still a little picky in what he eats but he's doubled his size. he eats 3 times a day and he'll eat regular flake food. he's not interested in any of the many pellets nor algae tabs that i have tried. i still have him with two platys (they are DWARF platys, so they are small) and he is bigger than they are but he gets along fine with them.
they are very old maybe 2.5 years now, so hopefully they'll live out their lives with him to keep him company.
he only has one eye, so i dont want him with any aggressive fish, but i dont like leaving him all alone either.

in answer to QUICKSILVER: he's staying in a 5 gallon for awhile. it's huge for him plus this way i can keep it on the kithcen counter and vacuum a few times a week very easily bcuz he's a messy eater. half his food comes spewing out of his mouth when he eats. i like keeping his water very clean bcuz he only has one eye.
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 18:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MacFish
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
male canada
he's staying in a 5 gallon for awhile. it's huge

Oh my!

That would explain why he isn't growing very fast. You are going to stunt his growth. He needs to be moved to a bgger tank as soon as possible. You could get away with a 20 gal for now but within a year, he'll need at least a 55 gal or bigger if he is going to have any mates.
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2006 14:21Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
Remeber to read through the post fully before commenting rudely. As this is clearly a learning process for the developing fish keepers. This fish is not growing slow at all, and yes, you should start looking for a larger tank soon, if you plan on keeping him throughout its life. I'm glad that you saved this fish, other wise that fish would have been killed if it weren't for you buying him.

But keep in mind that the fish you have right now can get to a size of 8inches, which means he will barely be able to turn around in a tank of 5gallons. While there outer exterior will be stunted the inner organs of the fish will keep growing, which will cause great discomfort and eventually death for the Jack Dempsey. If money is a factor look in your local papers for fish tanks alot of good sized tank 40gallons + (min sized tanks for Jack Dempseys) will be sold at low costs, just keep and eye out, plus with larger tanks the cleaning isn't as bad as most would think, the waste wont build up as noticabley fast as in the 5gallon, plus in a larger tank, you could make a great home for him, with plant pots which my jacks absolutely loved to hide and play in. PM me I can give you tips on making homes out of plant pots. Good luck with the fish, I know you'll do your best for your fish.
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2006 23:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MacFish
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
male canada
Yes I did get one of his responses mixed up with someone elses. I tried to go back and edit my reply but it wouldn't let me.

My post was not meant to be rude. It was meant as an exclamation point. A JD in a 5 gal is a problem that needs to be fixed ASAP.
Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2006 03:06Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies