L# 90 gallon golsfish
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe90 gallon golsfish
importfan878
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 212
Votes: 8
I will soon be setting up a 90 gallon for my two stunted comet goldfish, I have a few quesitons

- how many mroe goldfish coudl i add?
- maybe another comet and some other variety
- what other types of fish can be with goldfish ( ex.any tetras pleco , etc

- do they need a heater

- will a sand substrate be ok?

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:00Profile PM Edit Report 
zachjc_14
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 211
Votes: 24
male usa
Goldfish do need heaters even though they are considered a "coldwater" fish in order to keep their water at a constant temperature.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Comet goldfish really don't belong in tanks. They are big, thick, messy fish that do much better in ponds. Since your current ones are stunted you might be able to add fancy goldfish or a couple small plecos. I wouldn't add any common plecos. Like the comets one could fill that tank pretty well by itself. Make sure you have plenty of filtration because both plecos and goldfish are some of the messiest fish. Sand might work but would probably be a pain to keep clean.
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
What country are you in import? With comets i'd be less inclined to add a heater, but it does depend on the stability and temperature level of the area you are in

I'd just choose a small bottom feeder or two and leave it at that for a little while. Perhaps given the room to expand your goldies will just take off in size over the next 6 months. If not, *maybe* you could go with a fancy or two, but i'd not rush into that as 1) comets can be boisterous and 2) fancies don't really stay small either.

Good luck, and well done on the upgrade!

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
Goldfish also give off a really high amount of sodium and it can be bad to have more than two in the tank.

Inky
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:00Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Sand substrate will be okay, but not the best. My goldfish love to nibble around in the substrate looking for tidbits which would be more diffictlt with sand. Additionally I wouldn't use sand because of the higher waste that goldfish are known to produce and the water flow required to keep sand clean.
Is there a specific reason you want sand? I use landscaping pea gravel in my indoor "pond".

I do agree that they'd be better off in a pond but if that's all you can do for them it's better than nothing! Depending on how much the air temp changes in any given period you may be okay without a heater considering the size of the tank.

I wouldnt be adding too many fish. Like callatya said they're active fishies and may be a bit too much for calmer fish. Depending on the size of yours now you might look at something like white cloud mountain minnows. They're fast and active and stay small meaning less of a bio load.

^_^
[hr width='40%']
[/font]

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:00Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
i would leave it alone with that. i do have some rosy barbs in with my goldfish, so it can be possible to add about 5 of them in. but no other goldfish.

Last edited by BettaChris at 20-Dec-2005 19:24
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:00Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies