Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBuilding A Pond
shadowtheblacklab
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 52
Votes: 0
female usa
OK I have a fish club at school and one thing I would like to do is build a pond this summer and put around 20 or so koi in it but I need to know what I need,how many gallons ect. for the pond and koi.Please Help!!

Yup. I'm that crazy Twilight/animal/music girl
Post InfoPosted 16-Apr-2007 00:33Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
i believe the gallons per one koi is around 2000gallons.

so 2000 gallons per koi X 20 koi is alot of gallons.
Post InfoPosted 16-Apr-2007 00:51Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Dolf
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 180
Votes: 46
male usa
Does it have to be koi? If not, consider shubuin goldfish or sarasas comets. I have them in my pond and everyone who sees them thinks they are koi. They will not eat your plants and will get along well with other pond fish like mosquito fish or Florida flag fish.
Post InfoPosted 16-Apr-2007 03:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
Where do you live, that you are building this pond? Weather can also have an effect on how your pond will need to be built, especially with Koi.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 16-Apr-2007 04:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
shadowtheblacklab
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 52
Votes: 0
female usa
I live in CT and the reason I don't want to do goldfish is because I can't find any healthy ones but i can find healthy koi.

Yup. I'm that crazy Twilight/animal/music girl
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2007 17:38Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Where have you looked for goldfish?
If it's just the chains (p3tco and p3t$m@rt) then it's quite possible that you won't find healthy goldfish.

Koi need massive ponds and IMO require a lifetime commitment, they can outlive the oldest human. Goldfish too can live for decades.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2007 00:11Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
You will need at least a 4 foot deep pond, 6 foot being a prime depth for koi. Many Koi keepers use the water measurements as 1,000 gals per Koi you are going to keep in the pond. With goldfish, like shubunkins, you won't need as much room. With shubunkins, 3-4 feet deep in your area will be enough. And they can come down to about 100 gals per fish. So you can keep more this way. And they are just as colorful as the Koi, just smaller.

Also, when building your pond, make the walls of it straight up and down, no slopes. And make sure the shallowest part is at least a foot deep. As racoons like to frequent ponds at night and catch fish out of them. They enjoy a ledge to stand on in the water. So if you have one they will come and eat your fish. Do not have any places where they can stand within the water. This makes it harder for them to catch the fish.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2007 01:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies