Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGoldFish in 20G?
xlinkinparkx
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 353
Votes: 2
male canada
Hey guys I just took my golffish out of my pond and hes about 5 1/2- 6" he looks healthy and now I put him in my 20G with no other fish will he be ok for 4months or so? My mom and dad told me to throw him in the pool but I think he I safer in my 20G..so what do you guys think? Wow hes huge and very healthy...Any other tips would be nice

10gallon: 8neons 5gallon: 1betta
1oto
2platys
Post InfoPosted 27-Oct-2006 19:09Profile PM Edit Report 
figment
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
male uk
OK...from your flag, you're from canada, but without knowing where exactly I don't know what your local weather conditions are, so..
I assume you've brought it in to over winter.

Really you should be looking at least a 30G+ (125L)tank, or a (6 x fish length) X (2x fish length).
Here in the UK we get winters down to -10C (14F) so a pond water depth of approx. 2-2.5 ft (0.6-075m) will be ok

If you get harder winters there, and either you can't keep an airhole in the ice, or your pond is too shallow and the tank is your only option make sure you have it well filtered, and airiated!

best of luck m8..hope this is any help!
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2006 14:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
xlinkinparkx
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
EditedEdited by Xlinkinparkx
Well I'm form montreal and it gets like -30c, I was thinking about putting him in my pool, and making a hole in the ice so I can put a tube to let air pass, I can do any better then a 20G this year...so what do you people think, thanks btw

1oto
2platys
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2006 21:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
butterflyfish
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 26
Votes: 0
male australia
If ur talking about the type of "pool" that i'm thinking of. Pool being chlorinated. You wont be able to keep a goldfish in it. But your from canada so "pool" might be something differant to what it is in Australia. but i dout that.
Post InfoPosted 29-Oct-2006 14:37Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
xlinkinparkx
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
Ya a chlorinated(did I spell that right
?) pool, BUT, because I live in canada we have to close our pools, that where we empty it half way and close all the pumps and filters and what not, So its been closed for a while and I did some tests and theres no chlorine left in the pool. It a 9feet deep under ground pool but now because we tool out some water its about 5-6feet deep and its really big, So what do you guys think?

1oto
2platys
Post InfoPosted 29-Oct-2006 17:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kunzman96
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 91
Votes: 115
male usa
I think I would clean out my bath tub and put him in that first before I would use the pool. But then, I have an extra bath to use. But it is something to consider until you can find a larger tank. I have been able to find several 10gal. two 30gal. and one 150gal. over the years for free from people getting out of the hobby. When it comes down to it I would not use the pool as you dont know what is in there unless you have it professionally tested.

"Talk is cheap. Action can be almost as affordable"
Post InfoPosted 29-Oct-2006 20:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
xlinkinparkx
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
I tested the water and it has as much chlorine as my tank( i mean the color is the same, which means there is none)and I was going to put a tube so the water will airiate, I dont mind keeping him in my 20G but Its for him. My biggest problem the water isint cycled but I mean its a golffish he can take it right? His pond wasent cycled..

1oto
2platys
Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2006 04:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kunzman96
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Ultimately it is your decision. Personally I would keep him in the 20 gal. with frequent water changes and proper filtration for a 20 gal. until I could get a larger 30 or 40 gal tank. I have a gold fish myself who is outgrowing his tank and I expect to get a larger tank in the next month or so. My experience is that gold fish are tough but if you put him in the pool you cant control what gets into the water as well as indoors, besides you would have a heck of a time netting him when you want to move him from the pool. Is there not someone who can loan you a larger tank?

Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2006 04:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
wottond
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 6
Votes: 35
male canada
something nobody has suggested but being from canada i know about bringing in my fish for the winter....i use a large tub...about 35 gallon...(even something from Rubbermaid will work)...mine is actually like an old grecian urn kind of thing (kind of neat sitting down in the rec room)...anyways i use a small pond type pump/filter and a large air disc....have been doing this for about 5 years with no problems....maybe this is what you should consider...do regular water changes just like any other aquarium and you'll have no problems...by the way i kept 5 goldfish in this system (2 black moors - 1 calico ryukin - 2 orange ryukin)..all about 4-5"...just beautiful...just this fall they have moved up to a 55g aquarium..their new permanent home...too good looking to hide in an outdoor pond anymore...want to see them...good luck
Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2006 06:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
xlinkinparkx
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
YA thats what I want to do, with the rubbermaid thing because I have a few that I use to store my hockey equipment,but now its empty and I wanted to put him there but my mom dosent want, Ill try but or else Ill leave him in the 20G, hes so shy he never eats when I am there...

1oto
2platys
Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2006 23:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kunzman96
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
EditedEdited by Kunzman96
I looked up some stuff in my old book, and I found that generally it is suggested that you do not allow them to winter in outdoor ponds until they are 8 inches or larger. Even then for a Common Goldfish, and Bristol Shubunkin the suggested temperature Ranges ar from 32-68f
if it is a Comet, Fantail, Veiltail, Moor, Oranda, Lionhead, or Celestial Goldfish then temp is 46-68f. Some of those you wouldnt even want to put in a pond. I dont believe you mentioned what you have but I thought I would give you what info I have. I like Wottond's Idea on the tub just wash it out good. Oh, so credit is given where it is due I got my info from "You and Your Aquarium" by D.Mills. It wont let me type his first name lol.

Post InfoPosted 31-Oct-2006 04:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
xlinkinparkx
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
OH never thought of telling you what kind of goldfish it is, Its a 50cent goldfish, so it must be a common goldfish, I saved his life...

1oto
2platys
Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2006 03:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies