L# Outdoor container pond in az
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeOutdoor container pond in az
Teri
Small Fry
Kudos: 9
Votes: 43
female usa us-arizona
So, most of what I read is concern for water beooming too cold....what about too hot? Anyone have ideas on how to manage a container pond in 110 f weather during the day that "cools off" to 80F at night?
Post InfoPosted 09-Aug-2011 20:52Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Faced this same issue when I was considering a pond with similar temps (but much higher humidity)

Main thing is to keep it in the shade, that will keep the water temperature cooler, and protect a bit against any visitors looking to 'fly in for lunch'.

An issue you're going to deal with in AZ is water evaporation. Surface growing plants will reduce evaporation a bit, but they'll also reduce the water themselves.

Overhanging ledges of rock will help by shading and reducing a bit of the surface area. Is the container pond dug in or above ground? Digging a pond in and making it deeper than it needs to be will help with temperatures as well.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 12-Aug-2011 00:43Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Teri
Small Fry
Kudos: 9
Votes: 43
female usa us-arizona
Was thinking of starting with a container pond to see how it goes. Just concerned water will become overheated and boil fish. Was thinking of lots of plants and nearby coverage as well. What fish do you think would do well in that kind of heat?
Post InfoPosted 12-Aug-2011 03:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
If you want fish that can handle a wide range of temperatures that you'll get at night and winter look towards barbs, guppies, WCMM, and depending on the size of the pond goldfish Over 100 gallons for one, 150 gallons for two. My rule of thumb is 50 gallons per goldfish in a larger than 100 gallon tank. Goldfish are good since they can handle the wider range, and if the temperature doesn't swing too much between daytime and nighttime temperatures they won't be stressed. Larger bodies of water take longer to change temperatures so the bigger the pond the better.

If you want fish that can only handle warmer temperatures with the plan to bring them inside when the weather cools off you can look at paradise fish or other labyrinth, though you will need to monitor the surface area covered by any plants so that they have access to the surface. I'd go with labyrinth over any of the other fish that handle warmer temps (basically any of the tropicals so long as you can move them inside when the weather cools down) since they're usually near the surface and you'd have a greater chance of seeing them.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2011 07:19Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
pswan00
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
usa us-california
Can see that I am a couple of years behind but wanted to let you know that I kept an outside AngelFish pond (Cattle Trough) in SF Bay area. We go from 30-105 temps during the year. For the summer I had partial (30 percent of the pond) shade and Water Lilys. This did the trick.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2014 20:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies