SubscribeQuestions about goldfish
ontariobetta
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 243
Votes: 2
female canada
Hey,
I just got this huge Ryuking goldfish. I've never really kept goldfish before but they are something I would really like to get into.

My first question is how much to feed? I have Hikari gold pellets, how much should I be feeding a day? Also any other good foods you recomend? I saw in the other post about feeding oranges so I will try that.

Second question: Hes in my fishroom which is slightly warmer in the summer. The temps in the tank is around 70, is that too warm for him?

Thrid question, mainly just out of curiosity: How easy are they to breed? And can they be bred with any other goldfish varieties?

Anything else I should know?
Heres a pic of him:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v429/ontariobetta/herman.jpg
thanks
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:00Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
goldfish stomachs aren't larger than there eyes, so feed to ur best judgement.

i have some goldfish in warm"er" water, and they can do just fine,

goldfishes breed best, by useing the spawn mop method, i think they can breed with other types, breeding should be farily easy

wow he is big.

Last edited by bettachris at 27-Aug-2005 14:06
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:00Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
ontariobetta
With the feeding feed sparingly a little at a time once a day and never on the water change days.

My local LFS has no heating in any of the tanks the whole room is heated therfore all the socalled cold water fish are at the same temp as the tropicals.

Breeding sory I cannot help you at all.

Do a Google on that variety it should help.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
You dont' want to overfeed a goldfish, especially a fancy. Due to the breeding many of them have become so deformed that minor constipation can push up against the swimbladder causeing swimming difficulty. This is why it's not only important that they're kept in large enough tanks (75 gallon as a minimum) but also that they're fed plenty of fresh veggies and given good water quality. Low stocking, frequent water changes and some veggies every day should keep your new guy happy. I feed mine thawed peas simply because they're the easiest. I know others feed spinach and sea weed sheets are common as well. Oranges provide additional vit C which is usefula s well.

On the temperature issue. I've also had quite warm tanks this summer, up to 90. The important thing is to keep the oxygen levels high enough thru plenty of surface agitation. 70 really isnt anything to worry about .

^_^[hr width='40%']
"Has someone taken your faith? It's real, the [link=pain]http://babelfish.qwertydigital.com/" style="COLOR: #EB4288[/link] you feel.
The life, the love, You die to heal.
The hope that starts, The broken hearts...
I’ve got another confession my friend, I’m no fool.
I’m getting tired of starting again, Somewhere new."

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:00Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ontariobetta
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 243
Votes: 2
female canada
ok thanks guys!

How many Hikari gold pellets would you recommend I feed then? I've been giving him 4 once a day. Is that too much?

Yeah I really don't like the big ball look they have. Which is why I was wondering if they could be crossed with other varieties to maybe get longer bodies?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:00Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
They've been bred that way for centuries because someone thought it'd be a good idea. All goldfish are essentially carp. Standard fish shape in other words. The "fancy" varities are ones that had been bred to bring out specific deformities that are considered attractive.

4 sounds to be a place to start. You'll have to judge exactly how hungry he is since he's your fish . IME feeding smaller ammounts more frequently is better. After all in the wild fish will eat all day as they come across food.

^_^
[hr width='40%']
"Has someone taken your faith? It's real, the [link=pain]http://babelfish.qwertydigital.com/" style="COLOR: #EB4288[/link] you feel.
The life, the love, You die to heal.
The hope that starts, The broken hearts...
I’ve got another confession my friend, I’m no fool.
I’m getting tired of starting again, Somewhere new."

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:00Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Darth Vader
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 334
Votes: 35
male australia
wow thats a nice looking goldy
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:00Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Dolf
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 180
Votes: 46
male usa
"Yeah I really don't like the big ball look they have. Which is why I was wondering if they could be crossed with other varieties to maybe get longer bodies? "

If you want a goldfish with a longer body you might want buy a different breed such a comet, shubukin or peakock. Cross breeding is not out of the question if you can establish a breeding pair.
For several years I've been cross breeding comets and shubukins in my pond. I didn't intend to at first. I started with about dozen fish and after a couple years together they sort of took it upon themselves. I've just been facilitating ever since. All of the offspring are some mix of the parents plus a few traits neither parent has.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Janna
----------
Mega Fish
female usa
That goldfish is really beautiful! Great color .

They shade the glow of it with their mossy-misty costumes,
They wear masks of silk, porcelain, brass, and silver,
So as not to mislead with their own, ordinary faces.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:00Profile AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies