L# The Internet Is Not My Friend!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeThe Internet Is Not My Friend!
Krunchy
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 23
male usa
So I ended up with a 1" probably Bluegill... im trying to find a good profile on the fish similar to the profiles here and nothings doing... can anyone send me a link to a good bluegill page?
Post InfoPosted 16-Sep-2007 05:34Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
EditedEdited by PoisonWaffle
They're not that hard to take care of.

Keep 'em in a decent sized tank with a couple friends (they're schooling/shoaling) at about 70-75f with a pH of around 7ish. Give 'em some plants to hide in and some rocks to dig in, and they should be fine.

Most other questions regarding breeding, sizing, sexing, etc could probably be answered by looking on fishing websites o.O

Edit: It'd be a good idea to double check with your state and local law enforcement/GFP to be sure that it is legal to keep them in a tank.

Also, I re-read what I wrote first, and realized that it sounded a bit harsh/arrogant. I didn't mean it that way, I guess that's just how it turned out.
Post InfoPosted 16-Sep-2007 06:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krunchy
-----
Fingerling
male usa
no you dont sound harsh, you are in fact an incredable baller of sorts thanks for the help... but do you know of any sites dedicated to keeping native species?
Post InfoPosted 16-Sep-2007 08:23Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
Nope, I don't know of any sites for keeping native species. A google search would probably yield some results.

I've kept bluegill, sunfish, bullheads, and several other native species for short (less than 6 months) periods of time. I usually either gave them away to someone with a bigger tank or re-released them into the wild.
Post InfoPosted 16-Sep-2007 18:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
REDPHANTOM
----------
Enthusiast
Taking life on an angle
Kudos: 46
Votes: 4
male costarica
Hi,

Heres a website dedicated to Native fish: North American Native Fish Association.

Hope it provides with the info you may need or at least point you in the right direction.

James
Post InfoPosted 16-Sep-2007 18:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

Someone once gave me this site for native fish also.

Here
Post InfoPosted 16-Sep-2007 22:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krunchy
-----
Fingerling
male usa
thanks guys... I had ran across that site but passed over the forums not even realizing they were there... appriciate the help!!!
Post InfoPosted 17-Sep-2007 05:00Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Ironhand74
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 69
Votes: 295
male usa
glad to hear there is someone else out there with the interest of keeping fish native to NA, yes poisonwaffle brings up a very good point, check with your states dept. of fish and wildlife, a few have strick regulations, some like WA do not allow ANY indeginous species kept in live/captive form, however they do allow some species from other states providing proof of sale and point of origin in form of a transport permit. as far as finding tankmates, check out this site, http://www.jonahsaquarium.com/
keep in mind that most of these are seasonal, so check back regularly.
good luck and keep us posted
Post InfoPosted 25-Sep-2007 01:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krunchy
-----
Fingerling
male usa
johnas is a great site!!! but sadly I wont be able to put the aquarium of my dreams together for a year... my cousin will be taking care of all my animals untill I return so we can start from there
Post InfoPosted 04-Oct-2007 23:11Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 3
EditedEdited by krash7172
I had a bluegill in my 75 with no heater and it stays 72 - 75 F. I am feeding it Hikari cichlid food and carnivore pellets. Live food is a pain, expensive and can introduce disease but you may need to do this while it adapts to a new diet. It is more timid than my other natives and prefers alot of cover. They also like live plants to munch on. You will find that as it grows, it will produce alot of waste so be prepared. With cold water, you should stock less.

I gave up and put my natives in my 1500 gallon pond this spring. It's 5' deep so I can probably keep them in there year round.

Edit - Hah. Just saw the date on the thread. Hope it worked out
Post InfoPosted 24-May-2008 05:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies