L# Transferring Fish from pond to aquarium
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTransferring Fish from pond to aquarium
mooneymullins
-----
Small Fry
Votes: 0
female canada
Its that time of year, when the pond will start to freeze over. Just wondering on how big the aquarium should be to put 6 Comets in? The largest Comet is approx. 5-6" long now. They sure are becoming inactive right now. I'm planning on getting them into the house and in the aquarium to. Any ideas?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:22Profile PM Edit Report 
cool_pete
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 23
Votes: 1
male uk
well u dnt really need 2 move them the fish should go to the bottom of the pond, unless in canda the hole pond frezzes and not just the top
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
rickyz
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 19
male puertorico
The best thing you can do is to let them there, but you have to buy an deicer or if you have one use it.
vic
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 228
Votes: 288
male usa
I agree, The minimum pond depth should be 3Ft in the warmer areas and deeper the more North you go...Depends on how deep your pond is, but your Comets should be fine outside.
mooneymullins
-----
Small Fry
female canada
Well actually i do live in Canada and its getting really cold here. I believe its 3.5' deep in the middle of the pond, but it will totally freeze up. I really would like to put them into an aquarium and keep them inside till the spring.
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
mooneymullins
If it's possible to dig the pond deeper for next spring, go for 4+ feet to keep from it freezing solid....otherwise you'll need to bring some very large fish inside in a few years and you'll need the tank space to do it!.

Comets are very active fish. As a minimum for this year you may be able to get by with 2 75 gallon tanks. 3 fish in each. Be sure you have about 10X filtration running and plenty of current for the fish to play in. If you cant afford a 75 gallon tank look around livestock stores for rubbermaid stock tanks. They're designed to hold water are cheaper than a glass tank and the 50 gallon size has a similar footprint to a 75 gallon tank. In the case of goldfish especially surface area (AKA footprints) are almost more important than gallonage. You need one with plenty of space for the fish to move about in. Estimate about 10-20 gallons per fish in a tank with a footprint over that of a 75 gallon tank. You want one with at least 12" front to back and 4 feet lenghtwise.

Hope that wasnt' too confusing :%)...Welcome to the FP family !.

^_^[hr width='40%']
"in any case, chocolate is hardly a rare comodity." said Chaos. "There are planets covered in the stuff"
REALLY?
"Indeed."
IT MIGHT BE BEST, said Death, IF NEWS LIKE THAT DID NOT GET ABOUT. ~ Theif of Time [link=Terry Pratchett]http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/" style="COLOR: #EB4288[/link]

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:22Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies