Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWeird Red Spots on Goldfish
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
my girl friends goldfish recently has developed red spots. all params are good,nitrates were on the high end(25ppm) but she did a water change. last week the gold fish was swimming at about a 45 degree angle with his tail towards the top of the tank.i suspecter it may have something to do with being a floater or digestive problem so i told her to feed peas.after that the he swam normally and after a few days of feeding strictly veggies he was fine,red spots under the gills and fin went away.now they are back.does any one know what they could be?
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 03:51Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
what has she been feeding? could it be sores from citrus? just watch them and if they persist for a few more days then get some melafix. are the spots open skin or are they literal color changing spots on the scales? more information please if you want a diagnosis.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 04:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
she discontinued feeding citrus fruits awhile ago bc we heard it was bad fro members on this site.they ate blood worms and cucumber today.the are actual color changes on the scales
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 05:07Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
EditedEdited by brandeeno
might just be maturity changing the color on them. are the scales raised or at all deformed otherwise? if not just monitor them and its most likely just some sort of adaptation or aging thing.... kind like how some kids have blond hair as kids but as it grows and they age it gets darker and even sometimes completely brown.

Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2009 03:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
ok brandeeno whats weird is today she says they are back to normal and the normal gold-orange color. i dont know what it is, im puzzled. if it was maturity and aging wouldnt it stay the red color?
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2009 03:44Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
true. maybe its a sign of some sort of stress, what size tank, what are the tank mates, what is the filtration/cleaning regimen, what are the parameters?

I am puzzled as well. I figured it might have soemthing to do with maturing like my gold barbs got more speckled as they matured, etc... strange!

just keep an eye out on them...

also what are their breed/strain...

any possibilty they are "mood fish?"
jk

keep us posted and we'll work it out, meanwhile is she adding salts to the water? any other additives?

my LFS adds aquarium salts or epsom salts to the goldfish tanks but I've never been a big goldfish keeper so i dont really know the reason (other than it prevents bloating and acts as a diarrhetic)...

Hope they stay their "normal color" and stop your worrying!

-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2009 05:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
No, i know about adding salt but my gf doesnt. i have never mentioned it to her but maybe i could try it, although i have been told by some members not to add salt, hopefully some of them will chime in(FRANK,or keithgh).is is a 30G long, 2 goldfish, 1 black moor baby(1" 1 comet 1.5-2", filtration is a whisper?i think maybe a tetra filter but is a 30-55G filter becaus ei was the one who picked it out,just unsure of the name. cleans about 35% once a week atleast but usually as needed. 0 ppm ammonia, nitrite 0ppm nitrate 10-15 ppm. it could be "mood" possibly, could food coloration such as goldfish color enhancing food cause this? i dont know of her feeding them that but she varies the diet alot so its possible, but i always thought the color enhancer brings out their natural colors such as "gold-orangyish" of goldfish, it wouldnt change them the coor of the food would it?
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2009 06:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
blood worms and commercial fish foods can alter the color of fish to brighter or darker colors (ie why the TETRA COLOR and etc foods exist) they flake/tablet/pellet/etc foods might have color enhancers that bring out natural reds, oranges, pinks, and etc. now that the gold fish are orangish, the pellets might be making that a darker orange or the color additives are being concentrated onto those areas of he fish.

its hard to tell, was the tank cycled prior to the fish being tossed in there? it could be cycling stress.

Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2009 06:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
yes, it was cycled.she used all 20 gallons of her original water from her 20G and put it into her 30G,then used the used filter media, after al the decor was added she only had to a 2 or so gallons
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2009 21:26Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
hows the goldie doing?

still have the spots or did they vanish again?

-Bradon

Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 02:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
well i wa just over her house last night because it was her birthday(16th) and they were gone. they come and go, so i think its normal.

PS we watched stepbrothers, you seen that movie? its hilarious, and i recommen it its funny.lol just thought id add that.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 04:08Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
yeah its probably a mood/temperment thing...

she really should llok into getting a bigger tank (or ask her parents to put in a pond) because those ornate orandas and fancy goldfish still get rather large.

i have yet to see that movie but I will very soon, tell the gf we here at FP say happy sweet 16th.

-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 05:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
i will. lol its funny cuz at night i usually check my posts and shes like what are you doing this fish website thing again. shes like i never thought you would be the type of person to like fish when i met you. but now ive got her addicted too.lol

anyways that is my old tank and when my Oscar moves into like a 110 she will get my 55G. she would have bigger but we arent shure the floor can take the weight, and her parents dont really want post and beams supports in the middle of the refinished basement. as for the pond are they expenseive, maybe we coud do it in the summer, how do u keep critters out? any infowould be good.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 21:47Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
use some big rocks and such to create over hangs and caves for the fish to hide in. then when you add the larger fish dump in about 15 dollars of little ones too (just feeders) the survivors will last and the others will keep the critters from getting to your prized guys. In the summer you can do a "tub" these are great and I did one last summer/fall. ponds are expensive to make, with the liner costing about 150$ (i would get the soft liner and dig your hole appropriate sized)...

also if you are gong to do it start saving/planning/ buying materials now so you have everything you need when the time comes. filters for a pond can be pricey to so start your research!

glad the little guys are well and your gf is HOOKED...

-Brandon

(i got my ex-gf hooked with bettas last year, although she killed like 3, she still has the most recent one i gave her... she also thought fish were weird when we first met its a funny thing!)

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2009 00:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
well if you met me i dont really look like a kid who would breed and raise fish, im a hunter and stuff(guess i dont look compassionate enoiught for fish keeping.lol)

could we use maybe like just a large plastic tub, the ones that are very heavy duty and can hold 155 G. we use them here for christmas decorations.?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2009 03:21Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
possibly although the sides might bow and give out if not supported. if you burry the tub it should be ok, how deep is it? i think you might have to research the appropriate depth of a pond for your area as certain depths might freeze and kill your fish although if deep enough the fish will just go dormant until the ice thaws and spring arrives.

-brandon

(thats the kind of tub i used for my "tub" over the summer i just put it in an old wicker chest for support)

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2009 08:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies