AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Coldwater, Watergardens, and Ponds
  L# how can u tell a goldfish's gender in a petstore?
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribehow can u tell a goldfish's gender in a petstore?
Guppy gurl
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 79
Votes: 15
female usa
how can u tell a goldfish's gender in a petstore? i want to breed mine.also how can i tell the gender of the goldfish i have now, because it is so beautiful i want more like my goldie.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:00Profile PM Edit Report 
jimg87
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 431
Votes: 44
male usa
Its probably going to be hard to sex them in the store, most likely they are too young to determine. I usually can start to determine the sex at about 6 inches on commons which I breed for LFS's and have been doing it for 5 years. Males will have very small white bumps on their pectoral fins and gill covers. I think the easy way is to just look down at them from above and look at the width of the fish. Males will be very slim and torpedo shaped, while females will look fat and almost twice as wide. I think you stated in another post that your goldie was 4 inches, you will most likely have to let him or her grow up a little more. I would say another inch - 2 inches. Warmer temps and some live foods can help out with fast growth. If there is anything else i can help you with along the way just ask.

p.s. any way you could post a pic of him/her?

-jim
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:00Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
unless u are a true breeder, it maybe hard to tell at the petstore. the males will get bumps on there heads when it is time to breed, if u have a large enough tank, get a group and breed them by using a spawning mop.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:00Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies