Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribemoving koi
SheKoi
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 553
Votes: 4
male uk
my girlfriends parents are moving away in the next two weeks, they don't want to leave their koi in their pond, becasue
1) it's a small pond - they were intending to make it bigger but plans changed
2) don't want people who don't know what they are doing looking after koi.

so they want me to have it.

would it be ok to move the koi now? outside temperature around 13C. not sure about water - not at home so can't check.

I'm extending or moving my pond next summer so i'll have plenty of room next year, but would the over stocking be ok during winter - not feeding them cause to cold so waste should be minimum!

my pond now is 700g with
3 koi biggest 12inches other 2 5-8inches
3 large goldfish max 8 inches
7 small goldfish

Cheers shekoi

www.blooming-brilliant.co.uk
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:22Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Report 
cool_pete
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 23
Votes: 1
male uk
how many koi ,have your girlfriends parents got and how big. because if you got a big enfu fish tank inside with nothing in it you might be able to keep them there till winter over
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jimg87
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 431
Votes: 44
male usa
I agree with pete, but if worst comes to worst take them. They will stand a better chance with you in a rather small pond than in a large pond with people who dont know how to take care of them. At what point if any do you turn your filter/pump off? (im not exactly sure what the winters are like around you) I.M.O. I think they would be fine depending on the number of koi your friend is giving you, as long as its only for the winter and you keep a hole in the ice. Sorry if this wasnt the best reponse, i had to do type it quick.

-jim

Last edited by jimg87 at 01-Nov-2005 19:10
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:22Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
cool_pete
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 23
Votes: 1
male uk
britsh winter can be very bad we stop our pond from frezzin ova by leaving the water full on n fillter and cause so deep our pond they stay down.

if your pond not very deep you can buy heaters for your pond now they might help them.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies