Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribepleco for the pond (british)
smilingpiranha
-----
Banned
Kudos: 130
Votes: 7
male uk
Right, i was wondering, if a common pleco would be able to resist the good old british winter weather, i'm in West Sussex, and the pond temp. drops to about -5*c in the coldest of winters, then in the summer it comes upto about 18*c, it gathers abit of malgae in the summer months and i was wondering, wheter a common pleco would be an ideal occupant for it?
it currently houses 1 ghost koi and 6-7 home grown goldies

smilingpiranha
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:00Profile PM Edit Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
Some where on here I saw a guy from Canada kept them in his pond or his neibors pond. something like that. I wouldn't think they would make it but who knows I guess...

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:00Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
If u are looking fora bottom feeder, than the high fin loach is better for a colder pond, given the pond size they can handle cold water, but they will get very big. 20-40 inches
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:00Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Hello fellow englishman! No, no plec is good in ponds in our country, the average temps are too low and the winters way too long and severe. The seasonal average would be too low for the plecs digestio and immune system to work properly. You probably wouldnt find that a plec made that much difference to be honest.

Chuck some straw in or something, your local fish shops would have a load of anti algae treatments, and if you have the cash an outdoor uv steriliser would help no end.They seem to be cheaper than the ones for tropical aquaria oddly enough.

Last edited by longhairedgit at 04-Oct-2005 19:23
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:00Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies