L# Best Schooling Fish?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBest Schooling Fish?
pla
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 15
Votes: 2
Hi I was wondering what people thought were the best schooling fish for aquariums. I have a 40 gallon with two small lots of 7 cardinals and 7 rummy nose and various others (2 dwarf gorami and 2 corys etc) . From my experience the rummy nose school much better than the cardinals. what do others think. I'd like to know what smallish fish people think school best as i was thinking of getting either another 7 different fish or add to the ones I have.
Post InfoPosted 26-Feb-2007 03:46Profile PM Edit Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
My advice - boost the Cory numbers to at least 6 as they like to be in groups as well. Plus, you might end up with them spawning if you do.

Next, boost your Cardinals AND your Rummies to 12 of each. They'll shoal better in bigger groups. My experience is that 6 Cardinals tend to be somewhat shy and retiring, and have relatively little shoal discipline especially if there are other shoaling fishes alongside them, whilst 12 Cardinals are much more outgoing and more likely to exhibit decent shoal discipline. The Rummies, on the other hand, will exhibit excellent shoal discipline even if you only have 6, while 12 of them will be VERY happy indeed.

Trust me, once you see decent sized shoals of fishes in your aquarium and the difference that they make in decent numbers, you will NEVER go back to the 'pick and mix' school of fishkeping.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 26-Feb-2007 04:22Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
I've kept all sorts of schoolers but the best IME are rummynoses

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2007 13:45Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
Briliant Rasboras
I personaly like my rasboras. They hang pretty close together most of the time.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2007 01:29Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
I have brilliant rasboras as well...nice fish with good coloring IME though the rummynoses are tighter schoolers. I currently have 11 in my 30g, as soon as we're moved, settled in and my QT is set up/vacant I'd like to get more. Being a bit more sensitive than other tetras I highly recommend QT time before adding them to an established tank.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2007 09:18Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
The BIG issue with Rummies is that they are unusually sensitive to transport shock.

Here's my recipe for handling this:

[1] Make sure that when they're bagged at the dealer's, no more than 4 fishes are in the same bag;

[2] Ensure that the bags are wrapped in such a way that the fishes are kept in total darkness during transit;

[3] When you arrive home, switch the aquarium lights off, and introduce them to the aquarium under subdued ambient lighting conditions;

[4] Give them a good hour's acclimatising, and a further 2 hours with the lights off once they're swimming free in the aquarium;

[5] Once you switch the lights back on, feed with live Daphnia. There are few better ways of bolstering a fish's inner reserves than a hearty banquet of live food.

Try also to ensure that the fishes endure as little sudden movement as possible whilst in the darkened bags and in transit.

Be advised also that Rummies can be skittish during the first 48 hours even if you take care acclimatising them, and furthermore, they should be kept covered, as they are capable jumpers if they put their minds to it.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2007 14:34Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
I also think that Rummynose Tetras are great schooling fish. I have 15 in one of my tanks & they are nearly always, very close together.

Even the Corydoras school alot, aspecially when they're in big numbers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2007 18:05Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
I too started with the above mentioned "pick and mix" school of fishkeeping. Once I put a group of 9 cory aeneus in my tank, I would never go back.
Slowly I have been allowing fish to die off of old age,
and no longer replacing them with friends for my pick n mix fish.
I am slowly working to reduce my 75g tank stocking to only
2 species of schooling fish - Buenos Aires Tetra (have 7 now), and Danios, have 5 pearl and 5 zebras.
I plan to eventually increase these schools as the other fish die off or become rehomed (probably going to rehome my 3 angelfish or at least 2 of them and maybe my lone discus now that it killed its mate).
Anyway, I hope to have my bottom feeder group (loaches, corys, catfishes, plecos) with just the schoolers eventually.
I hope to eventually have 20 danios and 12 buenos aires tetras and just the bottom feeder gang plus my pair of keyholes in the end.

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2007 01:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gomer
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Small Fry with BBQ Sauce
Kudos: 1709
Votes: 106
male australia au-newsouthwales
In my tank (well my parents look after it since I moved out for uni), which is 55 gallons, I have 15 Rummynoses and they school all the time. Zipping together from one spot to the other. It's pretty awesome to watch.

I'd say add a few more Cardinals and Rummynoses and also a few more Corys. They will be more confident and happier.

-- Gomer
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2007 10:42Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies