carpe_diem
----------
Fish Addict
*Dreamer*
Kudos: 292
Votes: 51
female australia
EditedEdited by carpe_diem
I have noticed over the past 3 months black worms covering everything in my tank... its in my gravel, attached to my fake and live plants, driftwood and all through my filter. I didnt realise they were worms at first as they resemble fish poo but then i saw some wriggling! they are the same colour shape and size as fish poo.

what are these and how do i get rid of them?

i forgot to add this is a 55g with peacock cichlids (3) and peacock fry, 2 other ciclids and 1 bn. Its currently running an eheim ecco cannister filter.

Truth doesn't always win friends but it influences them
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2006 00:58Profile PM Edit Report 
Dangerous Dave
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 179
Votes: 3
male australia
Have you ever fed your fish live black worms at any point?
Sometimes not all the worms will be eaten and they can go on to breed in the tank. Not a bad thing as the fish always have a food source (if they can catch it).
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2006 03:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
If they are alive, its much better than dead. They'll happily breed in there if you leave them. A good gravel vac will get most of them out

I usually toss in a heap when i get them and they stay in the gravel for months and give the fish a bit of free pick

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2006 03:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
carpe_diem
----------
Fish Addict
*Dreamer*
female australia
No ive never fed them live worms before. I dont know where these things came from! they dont seem to want to eat them. they are all through my gravel and get stuck on everything..

Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2006 03:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
rasboramary
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 192
Votes: 4
female usa
I've noticed black worms on the rim of my tank before. I have never fed live food either. Only freeze-dried. Maybe the stuff "comes back to life"
Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2006 15:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
carpe_diem
----------
Fish Addict
*Dreamer*
female australia
i hope not!!

they just seem to multiply and even with my weekly water changes it has no effect on their numbers!! ive seem them move in the gravel and some floating near my breeding nets... and i really hate when i have to clean my filter and 'touch' them!!

im currently treating my tank with multicure pimafix and melafix and this hasnt had any effect.

does anyone have any ideas?? they just look like fish poop.. segmented black things .... ??

Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 04:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies