Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCONFUSED with DIY CO2
resle
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 112
Votes: 14
male usa
ive got a 10 gallon with anubius nan and frill plants. id like to try diy co2 so that they have better growth but im really confused about what i should get and how much of it though im pretty clear on the construction the chemical aspects are killing me got any help?
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2006 18:57Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
This is a pretty darned comprehensive article:

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

Hope this helps...
Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2006 20:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
go buy one of those nutra fin co2 kits , they have all the bits to get started and if you want to put a bigged co2 bottle (soft drink etc) you can without any trouble and you have the bubble ladder etc.

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 07-May-2006 06:14Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Jubs

---------------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 131
male usa us-washington
EditedEdited by jubs
What is your lighting like ? If your not using alot of light over the tank its almost not worth the effort...

What I personally use on my heavily planted 10g with 64watts over it is a plastic half gallon juice jug ( more stable than a 2L pop bottle) that has a silicone airline tube out of the top into a 20oz pop bottle that the line from the CO2 bottle goes into the top, then into water( you fill this container to about an inch from the top of the container ), this works as a bubble counter and a saftey net to make sure you don't get any of the gross yeast and such into the tank. On the lid of the 20oz it has one tube in and one tube out, the tube out is suspended above the water in the 20oz bottle to take the CO2 out of the bubble counter into the tank where I have a "misting" setup for better dissolving and distribution of the CO2.

The mixture I use for the yeast mix is I fill the 2L bottle to about the part where it starts to taper up I think its somewhere around 6 cups of water if I remember right... I add 2 cups of sugar and 1 teaspoon of yeast and sometimes I toss in a pinch of baking soda as it seems to make my batches last a couple more days but its not a "must have". I usually change out my mix anywhere from 10-14 days as my tank is not a "low tech " tank I daily dose fertilizers and is demanding and has to be trimmed once or twice a week!

There is a lot of different mixes out there but this one seems to work the best for me personally, the best thing to do is experiment with with what mix works best for you and your tap water as some people have better results with less or more of the ingredients and differing variations of them.
Post InfoPosted 07-May-2006 07:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
resle
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 112
Votes: 14
male usa
EditedEdited by resle
i forgot about the light, ive only got 1.5 wpg which, like u said, isnt enough to warrant c02, oh well thanks for the help
Post InfoPosted 07-May-2006 16:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
They make retro-fit kits that will give you 36 watts and will fit into your existing hood. Check out AH Supply.

When I was going to heavily plant my 10g and add DIY CO2, I was going to get the 36w kit. But I've changed my plans now.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 07-May-2006 20:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies