bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
hey its been awhile.

I recently became interseted in the feeder fish business. Does anyone know where i could find articles about feeder fish farming and the whole "culture" about this.

Ive really became fasinated by red rosy minnows and have a group of 100 in attempts to breed them in the spring, but the problem im running into is a few die off aday, They do look weak and small, but how do i filter the tank correctly without loosing the smaller guys. And how do i make sure that everyone gets fed, if there are 100 mouths.
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2007 03:32Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
Good luck with your venture

The only things I can suggest is to soak up everything you can in this area on the internet, books, goto a commercial fish farm, look up aquaculture. Who supplies those fish in your area ? Learn about your competition, work for them LOL. SOAK it UP !

I had a contractor at work approach me and showed me an ad for a commercial fish farm for sale with lots of acreage. I think he was looking for a business partner but knows NOTHING about fish lol.

Most of this was raising trout etc for stocking local and private lakes. Sush a business can average $100,000. a year. I was thinking about it and also thinking how to 'branch out into tropical things' LOL.
Than thought, nah I don't have that kind of experience or the upfront capital. Would be very nice to be self employed though.

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2007 05:04Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
that is one of the points to keep the strongest of the specimens... but also you could put some spnge (aquarium filter intake sponge) over the intake to prevent fish being sucked up and increase the flow. also keep feeding continuously in small incriments as the fish are not going to stay stationary... if this doesnt work divide intos smaller tanks (such as a couple 10g gallon tanks) to help with the food and waste problems (if you are over feeding just keep snails in to eat excess and keep some java moss or other fast growing plant to absorb nitrates and nitrites)...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 20-Dec-2007 07:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
EditedEdited by superlion
Most aquaculture operations keep their fish in large ponds, and most of them are located in places with mild climates, such as Florida. Mossy has some good advice - also, some colleges offer aquaculture and fisheries courses/majors. This would be very valuable if you want to go into business raising fish. I know Purdue (my alma mater) has a fisheries major within the Forestry and Natural Resources department that covers many of these things.

><>
Post InfoPosted 20-Dec-2007 07:50Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies