Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFresh Water Mullusk-
Thursday
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 32
Votes: 4
female usa
Would it be a o.k idea to put a wild one in a tank with coldwater fish? Or a captive-bred one- although who would breed those things is beyond me. You see, I have a small (35 gal) pond setup, you know, a "kit" Well, a found A live freshwater mulsusk in a nearby lake. Now, I haven't added any plants or fish yet, but I was thinking of getting 2 or 3 comets. I know it could carry parasites and such, But I was wondering. (I'm still wondering about putting it in... I might just put it in our pond) I've read they help keep the water cleaner w/ filter feeding.

If pets are so stupid, how did they weasel free room and board out of us?
Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2006 20:32Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Personally, I would not do it as all sorts of other
critters can come along for the ride including parasites
and bugs, etc. If you are set on it, be sure to put
the thing in a QT tank and keep it there for at least a
month.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2006 01:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Got anything approaching an ID for this freshwater mollusc?

There's a very good reason for me asking.

Quite a few freshwater molluscs have an interesting life cycle. The ones that are variously labelled 'freshwater clams' (bivalves) are to be watched. Not just because they have a nasty habit of exhibting precious little difference in appearance when live or dead (until they rot and trigger a gargantuan ammonia spike), but because when they reproduce, their larvae are parasitic upon fishes. And North American native molluscs are among the ones whose larvae are likely to be bad in that respect.

I've mentioned this on several past occasions - the larvae of these molluscs are what are known as Glochidia, and they attach themselves to the fins and gills of fishes with barbed hooks. At best, they leave behind them unsightly blemishes on the fins of fishes where they have attached themselves, at worst they constitute a threat to the fish's life when they latch onto the gill rakers and start feeding off the fish's blood. Several species have even adapted devious 'lure' type reproductive appendages in the adult stage that wave about in the water, looking like appetising worms, but which release Glochidia into a fish's respiratory pathways when the fish takes a bite. A Google search on 'Glochidia' will tell you a LOT about them.

I'd find out a LOT more about your mollusc before trusting it in the company of prized fishes.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2006 02:17Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies