SubscribeFungus?
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
EditedEdited by divertran
Hello all, have any of you seen/experienced this?
Yesterday I was checking out George (he's a Jack Dempsey) and I noticed that he had totally redecorated his tank (not unusual, he does it every day) exposing a large stone under the gravel. On the stone was what looked like a bunch of sesame seeds. I am assuming it is some kind of fungus and am treating, but would like to know more. Parameters are ammonia=0, nitrite=0 and nitrate=20.
Did a 25% w/c, removed the carbon and dropped the fungus buddies in. In a few days I'll put the carbon back in and do another w/c. George seems unaffected, although he did nip at me a few times when I removed the rock.
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2008 21:34Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
is it possible that george is a girl and those were some eggs she was guarding?

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2008 21:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Are the sesame seeds really tiny? I'd wager planaria or some other detritus-feeding worm-like invert. They don't hurt anything, and they actually help to clean up. But it is a sign that if you have a lot of stuff to clean up, then you probably shouldn't be adding that stuff in the first place.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 03:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
no, not tiny. actually a bit bigger then sesame seeds. I wasn't using them as a size comparison, thats just what they looked like, A nice brown sesame seed bun rock. About twice the size of actual sesame seeds.
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 11:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
WiseIves
----------
Enthusiast
MbunaMbunaMbuna
Kudos: 180
Votes: 85
male usa
sounds to me like unfertilized eggs. George might be Georgette. Dempseys are fairly EZ to sex. Females will basically have blue spangles on the gill plate will males do not. Also Males generally tend to have more color (blue/green) through out their bodies. I psted a pic in the cichlid forum, but I forot under which title, take a look.

By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher.
Socrates-
I happen to have become a philosopher
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2008 05:06Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
Actually, I think you are right. Last night and again this morning I googled jack dempsey eggs and found exactly what was in the tank. they tend to clear an area on a slate rock and deposit their eggs on the meticulously cleaned spot. Go George.
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2008 11:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies