Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHomemade fish food?
LMuha
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1144
Votes: 183
female usa
I'm curious as to whether anyone's ever tried to make their own fish food, and why. Also what recipe they used.

I'm not talking about live foods here -- I'm talking about the kind of fish food where you mix things like veggies and squid up together in the blender and freeze it.

Some of the members of my fish club make their own, and I'm thinking of trying it, but it seems awfully, well, messy ... do the benefits outweigh the mess?

Post InfoPosted 11-May-2006 17:53Profile PM Edit Report 
freejoe

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 227
Votes: 756
male canada ca-alberta
I make some for my cichlids I like to use beef heart that I trim very lean and add some flakes some minced garlic then put it in food processor blend up until desired consistancy (larger fish I like keep it a little chunkier)
then freeze flat in zip lock bags

Joe

The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an bacon and egg breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."
Post InfoPosted 11-May-2006 18:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LMuha
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1144
Votes: 183
female usa
Do you do it because you think it's better for them than prepared foods? Because they like it better?

I'm thinking about whipping up a batch of homemade food, but can't figure out whether it's really better for my fish, or just that it makes me feel better ...
Post InfoPosted 11-May-2006 19:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Laura,

I am sure I am not telling you anything new here, but basically everybody who feeds fresh veggies makes home-made food.

Granted, probably not too many people may use stuff from their own yard (I for sure wouldn't as it may be way too polluted), but people buy vegetables, prepare them in some form (like heating up frozen peas), and may even freeze then if is too much for one feeding.

I know that this is probably not too helpful, but I thought I mention it anyway.

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 11-May-2006 19:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
I feed my fish blended up cocktail shrimp... they love it

I cut 'em apart and pull out their entrails before I blend them... don't want any nasties

And I put them in a ziplock bag and lay it flat in the freezer... break off a chunk, defrost it, toss it to the shishies

I've also done beefheart, and they liked that, too...
Post InfoPosted 11-May-2006 19:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
EditedEdited by OldTimer
I use to feed a mix of primarily beef heart and several other ingredients many years ago that I also mixed up in a blender. I use to freeze it in smaller ice cube trays and then could just feed a block at a time.

I haven't used it for years, primarily since there is such a large variety of frozen foods available now.

If you're on a budget and looking for ways to save money, especially if feeding a large amount of fish I guess it could help that way, but for me the hassle of making it just isn't worth it.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 12-May-2006 04:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies