keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I discovered this article in Aust Herald Sun news paper today 19th Oct 2007

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Attached Image:

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2007 11:14Profile PM Edit Report 
clownloachfan
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 850
Votes: 115
male usa us-pennsylvania
very interesting. it is almost like the lungfish that can live in a block of dirt for many years and still be alive.
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2007 16:34Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Krunchy
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 23
male usa
I do killifish!!!
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2007 18:48Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Wicked.
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2007 23:11Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
coltsfan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 75
Votes: 6
male usa
interesting!

Justin

Colts Fan For Life
30g platy tank: 2 sunburst wag platys, 2 redtailed white calico platys, 2 red wag platys, 1 fry(not sure who it belongs to), 1 Golden CAE.
Bettas:1 VT male
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2007 00:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
From this page:

The mangrove rivulus is primarily a saltwater or brackish water species, with limited occurrence in freshwater. It can tolerate salinities from 0-68 parts per thousand. Within the Everglades and along Florida's west coast, this fish occurs in stagnant, seasonal ponds and sloughs as well as in mosquito ditches within mangrove habitats. Along the east coast of Florida, it resides in elevated marsh habitats above the intertidal zone, often within the burrows of the great land crab (Cardisoma guanhumi). This preferred microhabitat may provide shelter from cool winter temperatures, allowing for a more northerly distribution of what would otherwise be possible. Great land crab burrows also provide areas of refugia during the dry season, when seasonal pools of water dry up. Fish occurring in these burrows are small, with as many as 26 fish having been recorded in a single burrow. Burrows of other crab species may be utilized when the giant land crab is absent, particularly in areas of the west Florida coast. The mangrove rivulus is able to survive in moist detritus without water for up to 60 days during periods of drought, anaerobic, or high sulfide conditions. Intraspecific aggression may also induce individuals to move to other bodies of water. This fish has been observed slithering and flipping across land during the rainy season to reach pools of water or crab burrows containing water. Epidermal capillaries are used for respiratory gas exchange during times of adverse environmental conditions. Tolerating extremes in temperature and salinity, the mangrove rivulus survive in areas where few other fish species can exist.

Tough beastie.

Mind you I've posted in the past on Innes' observation that Rivulus of numerous species will climb out onto floating plants, "Velcro Jump" against the glass and adhere to it for periods of time, and engage in other weirdness of this ilk. Oh, according to this page Rivulus marmoratus is also a hermaphrodite. Interesting to put it mildly!

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2007 07:40Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies