---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
i have one about 7-8 inches.

i have a few Q on feeding.

i gave him a feeder goldfish as a last resort. I read that they will feed on crayfish, but is there any chance that a predator fish can get hurt really really bad by the claws of the crayfish, seeing how thats what their there for.

i was also thinking about going to the bait shop and picking up some shads for him, what do you think, more natural and less chance for dieases.
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2006 21:40Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Fish Guy
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1254
Votes: 2
male canada
Well I would also lean toward feeding him more natural stuff, such as worms, small fish, anything really that you can find out around a pond. Also a bait shop would be alright aswell. In terms of the crayfish, I would be a bit worried of any damage as you are, but you could certainly try it out with a small crayfish and see.
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2006 22:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
smapty
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 64
Votes: 7
male usa
Large Mouth Bass will eat anything...they even eat stuff that is not suppose to be eaten (sticks, rocks, sparkley things). So they eat smaller fish than them and worms and if you can get your hands on crawfish then go ahead and feed them to the bass. I would LOVE to know what size tank you have this critter in. What kind of setup do you run in order to keep a large mouth bass alive and happy? Do you have pics?
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2006 23:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
i have a 500,000 gallon main pond and 4-5 slightly smaller ponds in my upstate house. rjmcbean knows.

anyway, i ended up taking 3 bass with me, and took one for my fish tank.(55) i know they will end up getting over 15-18 inches at least.

as far as set-up, really it is a bare tank. just a HOB filter, and a plant. As far as being happy, he will never be as i took him from his home, but i felt that since i hooked him so far down and he was bleeding it was best to take him incase he died in the pond. Of course being a wild fish they should be left in the wild, and i felt that after 30-40 years of breeding and seeing how sucessful the ponds where with a good amount of fish, that all of those years of catch and release, that it would be ok to take 3 bass. While i ended up catching well over 15 i did release those.

anyway, he did not eat Freezed dried shrimp, or frozen blood worms, so until i can head to the bait shop that i could give him one of my health stock feeder fish. While it is against my policy to feed my fish other live feeder fish(excluding bait fish)he was looking skinny.

I will be heading to get some more feeder fish(just in case) and some cray fish on monday. and i will be heading back up to my upstate house on what looks like tuesday. See if i can't find any other goodies to feed him.

anyway thanks for the help. and again it is a wild animal and really should be left in the wild, i understand that.
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2006 23:55Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
rat(aussie)
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
what sort of crayfish is it??most crayfish(freshwater)in australia will drop there limbs if they get taken by fish..they will then moult and grow new ones..

i feed my o's small yabbies(cherax destructor/tenumainus)but before i put them in i just squease the nippers and they drop a limb..thus they dont get hurt...i know this is a bit unhumain but they are only goin to be crushed and eaten by the o's

be scared of nutters,cause even nutters are scared of religious nutters
Post InfoPosted 01-Aug-2006 15:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies