---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Indeed it is, keen eye tetratech

My dealer () for Xmas Moss seems to have Riccia growing in the same tank and both times I received a batch of moss it came with small pieces of Ricca woven into it.

And even pulling it out did not work, there was always some of it left behind. This actually is one source for algae in the moss. The Riccia on the inner parts of the moss gets no light and dies off. This in tern, is a beautiful food source for thread and what not.

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2006 15:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 1315
male ireland
I really don't have any horrific tank pics

I've never had any serious algae problems or other mishaps, even when I didn't know what I was doing.

Best I can come up with is a pic of my very first aquascape, complete with tacky picture background. Looking back now it was pretty horrific. Back then I thought Amano was an Italian suit designer

Attached Image:

Some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.

Remember that age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2006 15:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
Not sure what has improved more your aquascaping skills or your photographic ones. Actually the tank looks nicely layed out. No algae, was it plant heavy from the start?

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2006 16:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
upikabu
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 393
Votes: 44
male australia
Great thread.

Here's probably my worst tank pic, taken less than a year ago. I was having a cloudy water issue (bacterial bloom) that lasted for a couple of months. Drove me nuts! Plus check out all the cool plastic plants...not! I was actually convinced that the only live plant there (hygro stricta in the middle with the white roots) was the cause of my cloudy water.

-P
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2006 16:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
Not sure what has improved more your aquascaping skills or your photographic ones.

That's your first aquascape? I wasn't aware they had color photos back in the '20's...

I'm sorry, someone had to say it. Your're not old. But that picture appears to be a shot on film that was scanned so it couldn't have been too recent.

I like the layout, and tetra's right, it's obviously algae free. Dig the angels and the rainbows. But oh yes, that background

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2006 16:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 02-Mar-2006 19:19
This post has been deleted
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
Purple Betta Phase:

Attached Image:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2006 19:30Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
female usa us-maryland
Artifical Kingdom:

Attached Image:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2006 19:32Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
female usa us-maryland
More Isn't Necessarily A Good Thing:

Attached Image:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2006 19:33Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Nice colors Theresa

Anyway:
But that picture appears to be a shot on film that was scanned so it couldn't have been too recent.
What do you mean NowherMan6 ?

This was the first picture I ever posted of a tank, just about 9 months back or so. And yes, it was shot on film and then scanned in. I lived in the stone ages waaaaaayyyy back then

Ingo

Attached Image:

Scanned Tank = Old Man

Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2006 20:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
Actually, I should clarify that. I also have a film scanner, and I continue to occasionally shoot slide film and scan the pictures onto my computer. Slide film, when scanned, can offer greater resolution than most digital cameras out there, if I was going to blow up a shot and make a poster out of it I'd shoot it as a slide.

That said, Bensaf's pic looks like, to me, it was scanned on perhaps an older model or an older model of digital camera

...ahem...

Aaaanyway, we've gotten some good pics so far, I'm hoping we'll get some more algae mistake pics. So far it seems like people have their WQ under control, just made some poor gravel choices

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2006 21:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Well, I appreciate the pics, but I think we are moving away from "Horrific".

Guys, if I haven't made it clear "current" pics are acceptable as well!

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2006 21:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ChaosMaximus
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 39
Votes: 9
male usa
I did see a tank once that had a skeleton (like one of those human ones in class rooms in the tank, it was horrific...

chaos

- - - Humorous Bit of Wisdom - - -
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 02:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
Not sure what has improved more your aquascaping skills or your photographic ones. Actually the tank looks nicely layed out. No algae, was it plant heavy from the start?

Well the photography is no great mystery. That shot was taken using the still function on a digi-cam. Not the best quality only a few hundred pixels.
The tank was planted at start up pretty much as you see, although I was constantly adding to it.
The brown stuff near the middle on a rock is not algae but dying Java Moss, yep I couldn't even grow that then.

So no it wasn't taken in the "20's , now if you'll excuse me I have to go pick up an airline ticket to NY where i intend to hunt down nowher and kick his protists into next week

Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 04:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
EditedEdited by GirlieGirl8519
My first tank...a 10g that was very colorful. Man, I really thought it looked great. Now I see that I had extremely bad decorating skills.

And, it went from bad to worse. Look at that turtle thing. Ewww!! What was I thinking???

As for problems...well I have been battling a bad algae outbreak for a while. Here is the nasty stuff on my wisteria.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 06:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Aawww, everyone is harsh on plastic backgrounds, im sure theyre the only reason some beginners fish dont up and die from feeling exposed, but yeah they are pretty tacky. Much nicer if you do your own, or indeed just grow that many plants. Speaking of tacky, have you seen those filters disguised as submarines? That turtle is an excellent effort though , Hey, someone finally found a turtle you can keep with fish.... well.... perhaps not Perhaps it doesnt look as bad as it might because the glare from the rainbow gravel takes the eye away a bit. Yikes!

I would post something horrible, but to be honest ive only ever done river and lake setups, apart from a small parthenon that someone gave me once, even since I was a kid. I do have a few led's which are horribly tacky, but I like to be able to see what my big communities are up to at night , and its all I can think of to use without waking them up.

Speaking of tacky, I am strangely drawn to the idea of a coffee table aquarium,

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquariumcity/#

im not sure precisely how you use one without kicking it and jolting the fish to run for cover every time you put a coffee cup down, but if I ever figure it out , I might even get one. Actually I might not, I just thought how the cat would probably stand on top of it and pound the glass all day..

Hows this for a proper nightmare aquarium I find the shark jaws on the wall behind especially tasteful, its that perfect finishing touch, dont you think?

http://students.villanova.edu/thundercats/gallery/Aquarium_3_13_04/March%202004%20Aquarium%20064.jpg

and oh , the choice of species in this one, horrendous What is the inch per fish rule for a whale shark incidentally?

http://korimage.free.fr/salon_aquarium.jpg

mmmmm, roomy. must be the inch per fish rule again.

[link]http://www.hotelpreston.com/images/goldfish-enlarge.jpg [/link]

mmmmmMMMMMMmmm, and equally gorgeous tank.

http://jamemnsw.tripod.com/pics_vids/goldfish.jpg

Im actually in shock from that last one.
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 10:38Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
I have to go pick up an airline ticket to NY where i intend to hunt down nowher and kick his protists into next week

If you come, let me know I'll help you. Nowher once said my main rock and the plants behind it looked like Jim Hendrix's head, so yeah I'm looking for him too. I have him narrowed down to the Island of Manhattan during daytime hours. I'm getting close and with your help will track down this protist collaborator (just look at his tank) in no time.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 18:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
Hey, that Hendrix remark was a compliment, harmless at worst.

But regardless, I'll keep an eye out for two angry lookin' guys - one of which is wearing a skirt, the other a "Fish Geek" T shirt - running in my direction with sharpened forceps brandished.

Just be warned: in my collaborative dealings with those evil protists I have developed a potent form of blue-green staghorn algae, one which will render even the most stringent EI routine worthless.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 20:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa

Great come-back NowherMan6

I wonder how the old guys will top this one

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 21:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
Sigh, when did this go from Most Horrific Tank to Trash Talk Central? I think I created a monster

To get back on topic... I'm really kicking myself because I think I have pictures of my first real bad tank outbreak, really really bad BGA, on my old computer, but I'm having a hard time getting to them the thing is so old and slow. I remember trying to rationalize the fact that my substrate was getting darker and darker. "Umm, yeah, it just looks dark now, that's all. It's good algae, no problems here." Put it this way, the BGA was so bad that I had to hold my nose when opening the tank lid, the musky smell was so strong. And this thing is in my bedroom, so who knows how I dealt with it. Ah the memories...

Hopefully I can drag a pic up.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 22:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
here is my pic of my bba infestation

Attached Image:

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 22:58Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
EditedEdited by dan76
and one of some bga that showed up in a new tank and then i got rid of by blocking the light

Attached Image:

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 22:59Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
I'll keep an eye out for two angry lookin' guys - one of which is wearing a skirt, the other a "Fish Geek" T shirt - running in my direction with sharpened forceps brandished.

By the time I'm finished working you over with the forceps, you'll be the one needing the skirt

Good luck find your pom poms after that

Dan, That's a great pic of the BGA, hell I can almost smell the stuff from here

Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2006 03:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
beetledance
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 21
Votes: 6
female usa
Woah, hope I never get algae like that...

Ok, I'll humiliate myself (this is current, too):

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/moja1101/detail?.dir=7142&.dnm=61f8scd.jpg&.src=ph

Yeah I know, who threw the yard clippings into the fish tank....the plants were cheap what can I say. If my 4yo had his way, I would have pink gravel and like 3 or 4 of those skeleton/treasure chest/fake anemone thingies.

Just added more gravel too, so another outbreak of diatoms to make it even MORE lovely. Some of you guys' "horrible tanks" aren't that bad
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2006 06:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
EditedEdited by GirlieGirl8519
beetledance: Yours isn't that bad either. Put more plants in there and take that strip thermometer off the front and it will look pretty nice.

I thought the multi-color gravel was nice too...haha...what was I thinking. And I'm alot older than 4.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2006 07:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jettrscga
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 0
well...I'm about to start my first tank so I thought I might look at all the frightening pictures to make sure none of this stuff happens to me. I'm sure it will but at least I can hope for now.

I was wondering if any of you have tips for stopping algae growth or at least slowing it down.
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2006 00:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
entkitty
---------------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 129
Votes: 1
female usa
EditedEdited by entkitty
- how to get rid of algae -

Golden algae eater, they eat, and eat, and eat, and eat, and eat, and eat.... until all the green, brown, what ever color algae is gone. Then they die. You know why, because they got FAT!!!!!!! Then you go out a buy a new one and they will starve because there is no algae left and they don't like the algae sinker food you gave them.

See my profile (link below) for fish and setup.

Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back.
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2006 01:59Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
beetledance
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 21
Votes: 6
female usa
Welcome jettrscga, and good for you for doing your research before you set up a tank.
I am new at this too and the learning curve is kind of steep.

There's lots of old threads to read about algae here. The biggies to control are light and nutrients, but as I said I'm still learning myself. Keep reading!
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2006 02:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jettrscga
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Ok, thanks for the tips. I'll look for those other threads.
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 01:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
Oh wow, Dan76... it looks like you have a moss wall, and those poor crypts look blistered.
This thread has provided much amusement at the very least... I know better than to keep records of my mistakes... I can keep fooling myself into thinking I'm perfect that way.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2006 17:52Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
amandalou
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 36
female usa
I don't have a pick, but I bet you can imagine my worst tank ever if I give you a short description: I had a handful of cory fry that I moved into a 3 gallon plastic box (like you see tarantulas for sale in on pet shop counters). The "tank" was on a windowsill b/c I didn't have a heater small enough, so I got a pretty good algae bloom. The filter was pretty weak anyway. When the corys were big enough to move to the big tank, I turned the filter off, and I think I was late to work, so didn't do anything else to the tank. Or the next day, either. On day 3 of no filter and increasing algae bloom, when I went to dump out the greenish-brownish water, I saw something moving and realized I had missed a baby, who to this day is alive and well in the big tank. He's a survivor!
Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2006 22:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
So to bring back the midevil times. I had a thoght one day of setting up a sand tank with a castle in the middle of it, some fake tree things around it and just to top things off. A mote of blue marbles! Oh and the tank would have to have gold fish in it.

Then I came back to Doug land and decide that I couldn't do that even for my wife to be...

Sorry to hear about everyones bad experinces but life goes on. I am just waiting for it to happen to me.

Tetra,
Back to the brew. I had a little get in my tank a while back and it clouded the water a little bit but that is nuts what happened to you!

Is anyone going to give the info on how it happened and the fixes??

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2006 03:23Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
wings,
in my case the tank that has the BBA i just let go, didnt really like the tank and had plenty of others to look after, the fish were ok so i just left it.
the BGA was in another tank that i had just set up and came on pretty quickly, i sucked up as much as i could and then added a small powerhead and blacked out the tank for about ten days (i think) and the BGA went away

cheers dan

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2006 23:44Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Dan76,

Thanks for the explinlation. Do you have any new picutures of your tanks?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2006 23:55Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
wings, i have been very slack over the last month or so, the company i work for shut down and i have been running around in circles getting stuff ready to start my own buisiness , i dont start sub-contracting until the 3/4/06 so i will have some time to update all my abandoned threads

i am sure that ingo is unimpressed with the lack of updates to my logs

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2006 09:13Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
i am sure that ingo is unimpressed with the lack of updates to my logs

You got that right Dan

I wish you good luck with your own company, I hope things will work out well for you and you find the time to post many more "ugly" tank pictures .

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2006 13:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
EditedEdited by dan76
hey,

i do have some nice tanks too you know

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2006 23:19Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
rocker23
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 70
male canada
whoa those are some crazy pictures
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2006 23:29Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
rocker23
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 70
male canada
anyone have a picture of a tank that had a heater malfunction that had fish died and was left there for a couple of days?

i imagine that would be the most horrible thing that could ever happen to a tank
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2006 23:31Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I had a tank crash last winter brake when I was away. After a week I had two fish left... Not so good......very messy and gross. We wont talk about the smell. No pictures though sorry.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2006 06:47Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies