SubscribeNew 20 Gal Help/ Ideas
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
just add alittle moer to the numbers of the bottom guys, the mollies will ake up alot of room.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:55Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Report 
smapty
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 64
Votes: 7
male usa
UPDATE:

So I set up my 20 gal long...

I added the rocks and plants and it has been going for about 2 weeks now. The water is stable and I have added my betta to start the next four weeks of cycling. So my question is can I (or should I) vaccume and make water changes in two weeks?

I will post some links to pics of my tank in a bit...
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
I think 2 Dwarf Gouramis would work. That would be 5 fish plus fry occupying the top/middle of the tank.
I think one dwarf gourami would be better than two. If you got two then you would have to make sure you got 1M and 1F because males are aggressive towards each other. Especially in close quarters.
IMO dwarf gouramis are pretty boring. They are pretty to look at, but thats all. I had 2 in my 10g and one male tortured the other to death. They stayed at the top of the water and just kind of sat there (before the aggression started). Not very exciting to me. But, if you want one either just get one or make sure you get a male and female.
If the tank is not cycled yet, make sure it is fully cycled before adding the ottos. They are hard to acclimate in cycled tanks. I have had no trouble with mine, but they were added to fully established tanks. Good luck!
:%)

edit: As for tetras, Rummynose tetras are very pretty and good schoolers. Also, I have heard that Cardinals are a bit more hardy than Neons. I still would wait and add them when the tank was fully cycled. The neons I have are very shy. They hide alot even though I have 9 of them in my 10g. Rummies are by far my favorite tetra.

Last edited by GirlieGirl8519 at 22-Dec-2005 21:28

*Kristin*
smapty
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
So I was at a buddy of mines house and saw that he had some Gourami's and I was wondering if a pair of dwarf gourami's would work with 3 balloon molly's, 3-4 ottos, 5 corys in a 20 gal long? I am still waiting for my tank stand to be painted so I am still working on some combo's that would work for my new tank...

PS: Thank you all for your insight
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
Nope, no clown loaches in a 20g tank. They grow
to be a foot long (12 inches).
They are also schooling, so they should not
be kept in a group any smaller than 3, which would of
course require a tank at least 80g.

For a small tetra for that tank heres a great many
options:
Rummynose
Neon
Cardinal
Lemon
Silvertip
Bloodfin
Cochus Blues
Black Neon
Glowlights
Pristella

There are also these choices of small
colorful schooling fish:
Pencilfish (beckford's are very nice)
Threadfin Rainbowfish
Celebes Rainbowfish
Blue Eyed Rainbowfish
Harlequin Rasbora
Lambchop Rasbora
White Cloud Mountain Minnow

Hope that helps you some! Any of these fish are
small enough to have a group of 6 in your tank.

Last edited by So_Very_Sneaky at 05-Dec-2005 18:45

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
bananacoladafuze
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 147
Votes: 19
female usa
For the snail problem, I used to put a chunk of cucumber with a plant weight on it in the tank right after I turned off the lights, and then I'd just take out the (snail-covered) cucumber in the morning and search the gravel right around the cucumber for snails. It took a week or two of doing this, but the snail population got under control without having to add fish that would outgrow the tank.
Clown loaches get -huge-. My friend has six or seven in her 125 gallon tank, and I'm pretty sure that's the smallest recomended tank size for them. I got three clown loaches for a snail issue in one of my 55 gallon tanks, and the snails were gone pretty fast, but I knew that they would outgrow the tank, and I knew my friend wanted to take them once they hit six inches.
The Petco I go to isn't taking fish anymore, and one of the 'fish people' there told me that none of the Petcos are allowed to accept fish, so I don't think they'd let you return them after they outgrew your tank. If you get them from a lfs, they might take them back, but I don't think it's the best idea.
Of course, if you -do- get them, it's the perfect excuse to buy a huge tank: You bought fish that got too big for the tank you already have, fell in love with them, and want to make sure they're happy.

*wanders off wondering if that excuse would work with her roommates*

(Edited because I'm a big dork and can't seem to word things properly. *rolls eyes*..... Or spell.)

Last edited by bananacoladafuze at 05-Dec-2005 14:00

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:55Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
Kudos: 197
Votes: 75
male usa
I really wouldnt go less than 6 but I guess u could do 4 but 6 is better. Why not drop a molly and add a loach
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:55Profile Homepage ICQ AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
smapty
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
So I was wondering since I have a little snail problem and I cant seem to get rid of them...could I add a couple of clown loaches and not add as many corys?
dvmchrissy
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 301
Votes: 38
female usa us-indiana
I would say neons. As long as you take care of your tank and properly acclimate the fish to your new tank the neons will be jsut fine. I am not a fan of rummynose personally, and the neons are quite colorful. They are lots of fun to watch once they are comfortable in their new surroundings. I definitely say GO NEONS! lol
I have a school of 10 in my 25 gallon tank and they really liven up the tank and make it look very pretty! I also have a school of von rio tetras which are pretty too but they are not as colorful as the neons. I also love red and blue together (might be my patriotism coming out) I think it is a great color combination.

Christina

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:55Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
male usa
Neon's but there not very hardy, I prefer rummynose personally, pristellas like to be in about six also but they may be to large.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:55Profile Homepage ICQ AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
smapty
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Yeah I know what ya mean....my betta thinks he is Jaws.

So what kind of tetra would be small enough to work?
smapty
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Hello....so I did some research and found that my so called "armored cory" (which is what the guy at *etCo called it) is actually a Elegans Cory Cat. These dont get any bigger than 2 1/2 inches. BUT a funny story. All four of my Corys actually school quite nicely together. They all take turns swimming through the bubbles and dont look like they fight at all. So I will go with some more pandas if my pet store has any.

So I am not going to put my betta in there. I am going to keep him in his 2.5 gal tank. I will upgrade to two more otto's. Then I like the 6 tetras ideas since I will make it so they have PLENTY of room to swim.
smapty
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
I am getting new 20 gal tank. I am upgrading from a 10 gal and need ideas as far as
Hood:
Lights:
Filter:
Tank Mates for:
3 6 month old Mollies
3 Panda Corys
1 Armored Cory
2 Otto's
1 Golden Mystery Snail
1 Betta (may not add)
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
Corydoras like to stay in schools of at least 6 from the same type.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/s8xi5heh/my_photos
http://www.geocities.com/s8xi5heh/classic_blue.html
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/buzaqq/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:55Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
LAZY and I don't care :D
Kudos: 360
Votes: 293
female usa
On the filter go for something that increases your filtration to 2 times that of the tank. In other words, get a filter rated for at least 40 gallons. The Emporer 280 would be good as would the Penguin Bio-Wheel 150 or 200. All of these filters have the bio-wheel which greatly helps with surface area for you bacteria.

As for lighting and hood, aim for something that will give you at least 2 wpg. in case you want to grow plants. You could probably get a double strip fluorescent hood that has two 20w bulbs, that would give you 2 wpg.

Just my 2 cents.

~~Melissa~~
"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder."
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:55Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
smapty
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
SO as I am setting up my tank I am wondering what other fish to add or how the bio-load will work. So I am thinking maybe adding one more cory and maybe 4-6 neon tetras or cardinal tetras OR Maybe two Dwarf Gourami's (have three balloon mollies...will they work with Gourami's)? Any thoughts?

Last edited by smapty at 21-Nov-2005 12:31
smapty
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
So would there be a problem if I stock my 20 gal long with these?

3 Balloon Mollies
3 panda Corys
1 armored cory
2 ottos
1 mystery snail

AND...
1 smaller cory of some sort
1 more otto
6 neon tetras/ or rummy nosed tetras/ or glow light tetras
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I have an issue with adding panda corys in that small of a school. Pick one type of cory for that size of a tank. Pandas are often considered more delicate requireing more active tank maintence and would really prefer a larger school because of their nature.
Not sure if you're refering to the same type of armored cory that I've seen but they get massive, around 5+inches adult sized. They'd outcompete the pandas for food every time and grow much larger than I'd suggest for that small of a tank.
Keep in mind mollys may overpopulate the tank.

^_^[hr width='40%']"in any case, chocolate is hardly a rare comodity." said Chaos. "There are planets covered in the stuff"
REALLY?
"Indeed."
IT MIGHT BE BEST, said Death, IF NEWS LIKE THAT DID NOT GET ABOUT. ~ Theif of Time [link=Terry Pratchett]http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/" style="COLOR: #EB4288[/link]

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:55Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
3 Balloon Mollies
3 panda Corys
1 armored cory
2 ottos
1 mystery snail

AND...
1 smaller cory of some sort
1 more otto
6 neon tetras/ or rummy nosed tetras/ or glow light tetras

No, I dont think this will work out.
You would be much better off to do this:
3 Balloon Mollies
6 Panda Corys
No Armored Cory
4 Ottos
1 Snail
6 Small Tetra
That would be a much healthier choice for all fish involved

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
male usa
I agree with sneaky. Especially leave the beta out they can get agressive with anything with large tails and it "may" get upset with the mollys and that will cause problems. If your going to have the ten gallon as well, leave the armoured corry in it and put the beta in there with him. I am unsure if the armoured cory is a school fish but if they get as big as was previously stated him and the beta would be the only two I would put in there with the exception of "maybe" a small school of tetras since barbs would much on the beta. You will also find a marked improvement on the personalities of the Panda's if you get three more. I was told an otto per 5 gallons of water this also seems to agree with sneaky.
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies