AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# New 29gal up, running and very healthy!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew 29gal up, running and very healthy!
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
I know this will probably go unread for quite some time, because this site is not nearly as active as it once was... but this is the place where I learned so much about fish, plants, and how to be a member of the hobby/community.

A few months ago I dusted off an old 29gal tank I had stored in the garage after at least 5 years of being in dry dock. It was time to reignite the obsession.

So, I started with the substrate. I used a crushed basalt sand that I am able to get from work (i work in the concrete industry). I rinsed off the larger stones and driftwood and started my hardscape. I settled for mostly stone on one side and the wood on the other. I then rinsed off the abundance of fake plants that I had (but seldom used) and got a neat little scape going. Filled the tank and added a new HOB filter that I found at a local bigbox pet store on clearance because it had been returned (SCORE!).

I followed the advice from a great YouTube fish Keeper, Joey-- King of DIY, and used the cycled media from the mini tank that I had my Betta, KIllian, in and found a way to add everything in that tank into the new scape once the new tank had run for 24hrs with dechlorinator. I added Killian and his Cherry Shrimp companions to the tank and let them settle for a few days before I began to stock the tank.

Over several months and several hundreds of dollars in live plants (I needed the fake ones GONE), fish, food, and water additives I have a beautiful tank that runs very self-sufficiently.

My current stocking is: 1 male crowntail betta, 6 dwarf neon (Praecox) rainbows, 4 threadfin rainbows (I lost two and the LFS hasn't gotten any in for months to round out the school), 2 bolivian rams, 1 golden ram, a handful of zebra danios (I honestly don't know how many there are but at least 10), 6 bronze cordydoras, 3 juvenile female mollies, 3 blue neo platies (breeding trio), 3 guppies (breeding trio), 2 white skirt tetras, 2 black skirt tetras, 3 chinese algae eaters, 1 albino bristlenose pleco, some ghost shrimp (the cherry shrimp became lunch for the bigger fish), 1 unknown snail (rabbit snail?), a few khuli loaches (I bought 6, but I never see them, so who knows how many there actually are), and LOTS of live plants.

This tank has been magnificent because I have pothos and philedenron rooting in the HOB filter as a nitrate remover and lots of bio media using sponges and a large filter sponge over the hob intake. The tank has been set up for 4-5 months now and I have never done a water change. I only top it off and the plants seem to be taking care of the rest for me. As a trained Biologist, I applied the balance of an ecosystem to the tank and it seems to be working well as I am not losing any fish or plants.

Coming this week are 4 Electric Blue Rams that I ordered off of Aquabid. I would like to rehome the Zebra danios to the outdoor pond this summer and find a new home for the Tetras (they are too nippy). After that, the MTS has set in and I want to start a Discus/Angelfish tank. My LFS owner keeps trying to sell me the juvie discus he imported about a month ago and can't seem to sell. He offered me a great deal, so if they stick around I think I'm going to do it!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2018 18:08Profile PM Edit Report 
DeletedPosted 15-Apr-2018 18:18
This post has been deleted
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
Kudos: 1038
Votes: 4366
male usa
Unfortunately, photobucket no longer allows hotlinking pics unless you pay for a membership, so we aren't able to see your tank pics...

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Post InfoPosted 16-Apr-2018 14:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
Bummer! They were totally showing when I first linked them!
What is the best way to share photos in the forum these days?

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2018 02:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
male usa
You could probably link directly to the pics from photobucket, but I'm not sure which online hosting services still allow the hotlinking.

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2018 14:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2018 05:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
male usa
That worked! I like the cory/shrimp pic!

Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2018 14:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies