Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeR.I.P
eat_ham222
-----
Banned
Kudos: 72
Votes: 16
male usa
I'm really sorry Mr.Guppy, I bought you yesterday, but I loved you like one of my own. R.I.P. Mr.Guppy.

-A few moments of silence...
Post InfoPosted 18-Dec-2007 02:35Profile PM Edit Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

The vast majority of guppies available in stores are extremely inbred and weak, so even slight changes in water chemistry will cause a lot of them to keel over pretty quickly.

How did you acclimate the fish to your tank? At the store where I used to work, we would drip acclimate our shipments of guppies for at least an hour, otherwise half of them would be dead the next day.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 18-Dec-2007 05:38Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
That does seem rather strange assuming you know the correct procedures for introducing fish into a tank.

Have you lost any other fish in the same tank?
I would tell them where you bought Mr Guppy and see what they have to say.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 18-Dec-2007 08:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
eat_ham222
-----
Banned
Kudos: 72
Votes: 16
male usa
I think that MR. Killifish ate him, or his wife Mrs. Killifish did the job, no other fish dead. I'm surprised no fish are dead with the way I changed all my gravel.. By MR Guppy, you were too good for this world
Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2007 07:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Jerrard
----------
Fingerling
Kudos: 19
Votes: 5
male canada
inbred ? fish dont play by the same rules as we do breeding with imediate family has no effect on fish.

1-Ancistrus triradiatus 4-Gymnocorymbus ternetzi 2-Danio frankei
2-Danio rerio 2-Danio Starfire 2-Chromobotia macracanthus 2-Erpetoichthys calabaricus 4-Ampullariidae 1-Mastacembelus erythrotaenia
Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2007 21:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Kudos: 138
Votes: 13
female usa us-massachusetts
Inbreeding has negative side effects on fish as well, though the consequences might not be as apparent as they sometimes are in humans and higher species.
Outbreeding to rejuvenate the genetic pool should be done every couple of generations. however, big fish farms do not follow these rules and a lot of customers do not care (and don't know better either)
Post InfoPosted 23-Dec-2007 03:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
Yes fish do inbred and it will make a difference. I have seen it myself eventually the offspring will have deformed spines which are the most visible defect. as well as several other genetic malfunctions.

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2008 22:46Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies