L# Sharks For A 15G? Freshwater?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSharks For A 15G? Freshwater?
NinjaSeal
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 11
Votes: 0
any sharks i can add to a 15g wit some barps?

55 gallon 1 rtbsm, 2 khuli loaches,2 gold rams 1m1f,1 leapord highfin pleco,6 black phantoms
2 odessa barbs ,1 tire track eel,2 green severums
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2006 15:58Profile PM Edit Report 
jbe0404
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 70
male usa
I am afraid not bud. The smallest freshwater shark I know of would be the rainbow shark and it IMO needs atleast a 50 gal.
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2006 17:30Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Given the size that most of the so-called "Sharks" (which in the main are actually Cyprinids related to the Barbs and Danios, and only very distantly related to the true cartilaginous sharks because both are fishes - there's a wide taxonomic gulf between the two groups) it is unlikely that you will find one that will live long term in a 15 gallon.

For example, most of the "Old Labeo" type Sharks (Red Tailed Black Shark, Redfinne/Rainbow Shark, and their immediate relations) reach the 7 inch mark when fully grown, and should be considered as fishes for a 55 (US) gallon setup at least. Then you have oddities such as Luciosoma segiterum, the Apollo Shark (which is actually a large Rasbora - it's in the Subfamily Rasborinae) which reaches 10 inches, and is a candidate for a 75 gallon as a minimum setup, and then of course there is the ever popular Bala Shark, which as a shoaling fish reaching 12 inches, really NEEDS a 125 and preferably an even bigger setup.

Just to compound matters, sometimes you'll see Black Sharks, Labeo chysophekadion, on sale. Do not EVER buy one of these unless you can give it 200 gallons or more. Yes, that's right, 200 gallons or more. Why? Because it reaches ALMOST TWO FEET in length when fully grown. That's a fish that should be on the 'tank buster' list for most people.

Oh, and one fish I would DEFINITELY avoid is the so-called "Iridescent Shark". This is actually an Asian Catfish, one of the Pangasius Catfishes, and members of this Genus can exceed THREE FEET in length. Adults are public aquarium material unless you can afford a truly colossal aquarium for them.

If you're thinking of the 15 as a temporary home for a Red Tailed Black Shark while you get a 55 for bigger, I'd give that the nod, but a 15 is too small to be a permanent home for one. This also depends upon what Barbs you're planning on keeping - and I am sincerely hoping here that you're not about to tell me you've bought some juvenile Tinfoil Barbs, because they reach 14 inches and need a huge setup to do them justice.

Your problem here is that a Red Tailed Black Shark is a fairly feisty fish as it grows older, and territorial with its own kind to boot. Plus, it will react in a vigorously territorial manner to fishes that resemble it in shape and colour, so that will have an effect upon your choice of Barbs. I'd exercise caution putting them in with Clown Barbs, Barbus everetti, for example, in case the red finnage of the Clown Barbs elicits a territorial response from the RTBS. Ironically, it might get on with the much smaller Tiger Barbs because they are a different shape (and pretty feisty themselves when they want to be!).

Once again, I'm back to my favourite hobby horse. Doing the research before you spend a penny saves a lot of heartbreak further down the line.

I think you should seriously consider a much less problematic alternative for an aquarium as modest in dimensions as a 15 gallon, and wait until you have at least a 55G before considering long term ownership of a RTBS.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2006 17:39Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I know that Calilasseia have given you excellent advice, please read it very carefully as he has put a lot of time into your question.

If you still want sharks get a big tank at least 5ft yes they are slow growers some are fast awimmers and others are very much like their own area. They also require caves,and a well planted tank with plenty of places they can call their own. Some you can not keep together others you should have only one per tank unless you know exactly what you are doing and have the perfect tank for them.

I personally would do a lot of research save up big and when ready build that special tank.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2006 05:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies