male australia
ok so im thinking of this

8 rummy nose
8 cardinals
2 brisle noses
8 corys
2 bolivian/blue/gold rams
2-4 angels OR discus

What do you think i should get and/or what would you chance about that?
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2008 14:38Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
yea i wouldn't gete discus they really need a lot of work and with all thos fish they might get a little stressed if its not hevaily planted and they like plants a lot.
Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2008 00:04Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 17-Oct-2008 00:04
This post has been deleted
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I'd go with the angels too, cause they're easier and slightly more entertaining (IMO) than discus. Not sure minimum tank size on discus, but I think 60 might be cutting it a bit close so you'd want to stay very up to date on the water changes.

But if you wanted discus you could leave off the rams and maybe chose between cards and rummy nose. I'm pretty sure cards and neons are a discus' main food source in the wild so you may want to go with the rummies instead, unless you have a good supply of cards and don't mind buying the discus an expensive dinner!

^_^

Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2008 00:55Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
zachf92
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 255
Votes: 233
male usa
Ive always heard that an angel's natural food is cardinals/neons, but who knows, i've also heard that discus and angelfish can occupy the same area.

I just couldnt ever imagine a discus chomping down on other fish. their mouths are just so small

But anyway, I think that your stocking choice sounds pretty decent. Just make sure that you start off with small discus/angelfish, so that their is no chance of them eating their tankmates.
Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2008 04:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
haha i have seen discus eat fish before it was kinda funny it took foreverfor him to swollow it. but yea angel fish do eat them all the time.
Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2008 04:54Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
rabbit
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 461
Votes: 7
male australia
yeah, i planned on doin WC's every 2 weeks and the plans are for the tank to be heavily planted with pieces of drift wood laying around aswell.
Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2008 05:08Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by TW
Hi rabbit
planned on doin WC's every 2 weeks
Discus aren't that hard to keep, but really do need more frequent water changes than every 2 weeks. A minimum of once a week, but it's better to do 2 wc per week. Unless they are a confirmed pair, then 2 discus is not enough. Like most cichlids, a breeding pair may give your other fish a hard time. Discus are a schooling fish, so 4 would be better. My non breeding discus ignore any fish that isn't a discus. Each adult discus needs 10G.

Discus are known to eat cardinals, but I think a lot depends on size. I put my cardinals in a grow out tank until they were big enough, before adding to the discus tank. None have been eaten. If they are too small, they are likely to become a snack.
i've also heard that discus and angelfish can occupy the same area
This can be controversial. Some do it, no problems at all. Read lots of posts where people had great success. Others say Angels are host carriers of capillaria, usually of no harm to the Angel but can cause great harm to the discus. I don't know what's true & what's myth, but won't chance it myself. Good discus in Aus are a bit too pricey to try the experiment.

I've never had Angels, so don't know what conditions they like. My preference is with discus over angels, but unless you don't mind upping your wc routine, Angels might be a better choice for you. I've heard they eat cardinals too, though.

Good luck with your stocking.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2008 23:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
yea angels do eat neons, cardinals, galxy rasboras, and any other small fish around that size but i use to feed my breeding angels live fish and they really injoyed it and provided plenty of heathly and great looking babys.

i have seen a full grown discus eat a full grown cardinal a few times its quite a site but yea they can only eat neons cardnials and galxy rasboras. but if u get discus u can have the rams and u need to have twice a week WC.
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2008 05:52Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies