SubscribeSuitable Tank For Rams...?
Hawkeye
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 7
Votes: 1
male canada
EditedEdited by Hawkeye
This is just a way down the road kinda plan, as our tank isn't heavily planted enough, so we need to wait for that a bit, but I'm the neurotic kinda guy that likes to have a plan. It keeps me interested while the grass grows...as it were.

In any case, we were considering a pair of Bolivian Rams to round out our 50g tank, but need some info as to whether it's even a possibility considering the stock we have in there now. We have...

3xBlack Skirt Tetras
5xNeon Tetras
6xCardinal Tetras
6xPygmy Corys

Also, we'll soon be adding some shrimp to the tank...though I don't know how long they'll last, but that's a story for another topic...actually it already is. Also, we have a gravel substrate, and I was wondering if they were e to as much digging as other cichlids are.

So ya, was just hoping for some advice from the experts, so thanks in advance...and sorry for the rambling.
Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2008 23:40Profile PM Edit Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
Kudos: 92
Votes: 147
male usa us-indiana
I think that a pair of Rams would be okay. I would suggest upping the tetra schools to make them each 6. As for the Rams digging, I don't think they dig much like other cichlids, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2008 03:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Hawkeye
-----
Fingerling
male canada
Ya, I just thought I'd ask about the digging...as I'd hate to see our oh so recent attempts at live plants floating at the top in the morning. As for the tetras, the neons were at 6...but one died. And they and the cardinals school so that's ok now...but next time we go to the store for anything living we were planning on getting one more. As for the black skirts...we're a bit worried about how they'll deal with the shrimps we were planning to get...so we were thinking of waiting till after that to give them any more manpower...or fishpower... But ya, it's on the agenda sometime soon. For the time being they act well adjusted enough.
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2008 06:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
If the tetras don't get the shrimp, the rams probably will. Rams will not dig up plants, though, they are a great choice for planted tanks.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2008 08:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have Bolivian rams and they do not actually dig like other rams the biggest diggers in my tank are the big CLs

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2008 10:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 23-Mar-2008 10:29
This post has been deleted
Hawkeye
-----
Fingerling
male canada
Well that's a relief...about the digging at least. As for the shrimps, that plan is out the window. We'll just have to keep shrimps in the quarantine tank and go with ottos in the main tank. Oh wells, at least shrimp won't die due to our curiousity.

One last thing has just occurred to me though: black skirts are rather nippy, will they be ok with bolivian rams and their rather long fins? Or am I just over thinking things, as I'm e to do, I'll admit.
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2008 19:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Sorry I cannot comment on the Black Skirts but I will say the Bolivian Rams are not a shy fish I have seen one trying to push a full sized Hoplo Catfish out of the way by just nipping at its fins until it moved away.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2008 04:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Hawkeye
-----
Fingerling
male canada
That's awesome. Our Black Skirts could use some of that. They've made themselves into the lords of our tank.
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2008 06:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
curtur
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
male newzealand
I have a pair of bolivian rams in a 30 gallon tank with various tetras and they seem to do very well, generally leave the tetras alone and don't seem to dig much.
They are a very extrovert fish though, any time I go near the tank they hang around the front looking at me.
Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2008 01:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Hawkeye
-----
Fingerling
male canada
Hopefully we'll have as much luck, but we still need to grow out our plants a bit more, so it'll probably be a good month or so before we get them. Thankfully the LFS had a good supply the last time we were there. Unfortunately they were all juveniles so hopefully we'll just get lucky and get a pair the first time...but I have my doubts.
Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2008 21:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies