SubscribeWondering for some opinions
General Hague
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 81
Votes: 3
male usa
EditedEdited by General Hague
If you guys got the time and don't mind telling me your opinion, I was wondering if you give me some advice

Details:
I got a 20H tank that is being used to breed Red Claw Macro shrimp. (http://www.petshrimp.com/redclawmacro.html). Other things in the tank is 1 gold snail and Malaysian trumpet snails. The 2 full size females and especially the full size male are much larger than ghost shrimp. The babies which are around 9 or so are about the size of medium/large ghost shrimp. I even see some new babies in there are that are smaller than ghost shrimp.

Problem:
Possible to add any kind of fish that:
1. won't get eaten by the shrimp
2. won't eat the shrimp

However more likely fish would eat the shrimp, than the shrimp eat the fish. Because these shrimp are the least or among the least aggressive of the macro type shrimp. I did keep fish with them before breeding them. Those fish included sparkling gourmies, cherry barbs, king tiger pleco, Siamese alage eaters, and ottos. The only fish that ended up being a meal for the shrimp were the cherry barbs, out of an original 3 or 5? I can't remember, only 1 is still alive presently in another tank. 1 cherry barb didn't act too well when I acclimated it into the tank and swam very wildly and swim right into one of the shrimp and so the shrimp caught him and starting clipping him up.

I was wondering about Tiger Barbs, never had any of those before but I'm worried they might much on the little babies. Any other suggestions
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2008 19:19Profile PM Edit Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
thats a tough one - what footprint does the tank have?
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2008 23:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
General Hague
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
By footprint, do you mean dimensions of the tank? It's a 20 Gallon High tank. So I think these are the dimensions of the tank in inches: 24 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 16 3/4
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2008 23:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

I would go with some sort of smaller pleco in a tank like that. Something like Tiger Barbs would quickly pick off any baby shrimp they came across.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 14-Jun-2008 00:23Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
General Hague
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
I've had my fill of plecos. I still got my King Tiger Pleco and 2 other species of plecos in a 90 gallon tank. I was hoping something top to mid level, though bottom level is alright too, but thats where the vast majority of the time the shrimp are at. Thanks though for your reply and suggestion
Post InfoPosted 14-Jun-2008 01:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
I think maybe otto cats. might be the only thing you could add to a shrimp breeding tank..... Most fish will find shrimp to be a tastie snack.

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 14-Jun-2008 04:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
General Hague
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Hmm. Maybe. Maybe that's why I didn't have baby shrimp until after I moved the fish to another tank?
Post InfoPosted 14-Jun-2008 05:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I had a few ghost shrimp in the 20g with my Tiger Barbs, they were gone in two days... Dont put TBs in with the shrimp. That's all I can tell you!
Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2008 00:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
General Hague
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
They had some more babies now, I saw like at least 4, they are smaller than ghost shrimp at the moment. Think leaving the shrimp in the tank by themselves with no fish is best option?
Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2008 06:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Agree.

Most things that wouldn't eat the shrimp would be easy pickings for an adult macro.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2008 19:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies