SubscribeYipeee!! New 75gal tank!
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
i remember 4 years ago when i got my first 75, it is a corner tank, and i liked it so much i got a 75 reg, for my convict breedings.

good luck with urs.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:52Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
Congratulations...I wish I had a 75g tank...lucky you. :%)

Are you going to have a community tank, cichlid tank, or something else?

If a community tank, I think a huge school of Rummynose tetras would be great. Thats what I would put in my 75g (along with a second school of tetras and other community fish).

Good luck...it will be hard to choose what to put in there since you can have almost anything!

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
misty7
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 60
female canada
Oooohh.. multiple 75gal tanks!! That would be fantastic! I think my husband would divorce me, though

Thanks for the good luck. I have a feeling that I'll be needing some help/opinions during this setup. Right now, I'm actually getting a little intimidated just looking at it...
misty7
----------
Hobbyist
female canada
Thanks to you, too, GirlieGirl

I actually have no clue what I'm going to do with it yet! I have a 38gal community tank, and a 10gal shrimp tank already. I know the new tank is going to be planted (low maintenance plants, none of that CO2 stuff), but other than that....I'm not sure yet
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
i personally dont like a million little fishes swimming around, but if that is u, than like u said u have alot of things u can do.

guess} urs is a reg long tank, so if u are not into small little fishes, african cichlids would be cool.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:52Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
misty7
----------
Hobbyist
female canada
Don't cichlids destroy real plants, though? One of my friends has a cichlid tank, but says he has to have fake plants because the fish just destroy real ones. I prefer real plants, but do like cichlids....
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
depends on the type of cichlid. i personally have never had a plant cichlid problem ,but i know some peral cichlids will destroy plants. but i personally would worry about me destroying the plants instead of the fish

i like [link=http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=815]http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=815" style="COLOR: #FFFF00[/link]
and
[link=http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=810]http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=810" style="COLOR: #FFFF00[/link]

kinda more money than reg plants, but these plants are kinda hard leaf plants, which means that most fish will leave them alone.
misty7
----------
Hobbyist
female canada
Food for thought, bettachris! Thanks!
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
NP , if u need any other stuff let me know.
misty7
----------
Hobbyist
female canada
Yay! I just bought a 75 gal tank!! It's huge...the possibilities are almost endless

Now all I've got to do is figure out what I want to put in it...I'm sitting here staring at an empty tank right now
misty7
----------
Hobbyist
female canada
OK the tank is setup (not cycled yet), but I still haven't quite decided on the fish yet.

Right now, I have 4 pepper cories sitting in my quarantine tank, so they will be going in. And, I'd like to move my 5 harlequin/black rasboras into the big tank from my 38gal, too. I will need to increase both of these schools. Other than that, I'm open for suggestion

Here's a pic of the tank right now. I might add some more plants later, but am waiting to see how these ones grow out....

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2006 03:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
koi keeper

---------------
---------------
----------
Kudos: 2033
Votes: 240
female usa us-iowa
Just a comment on the tank, I LOVE your first shot at the aquascaping. I know you haven't finished and whatnot so no criticisms, but for having just filled up VERY nice

Koi

Empty chairs at empty tables, the room silent, forlorn.
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2006 03:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
reel big mark
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 112
male usa
I have to say, i LOVE your setup, i cant wait to see how those plants grow in, i personaly wouldnt change anything until stuff grows in more./:'

its me sk8freak20...i need to get premie so i can change my name back
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2006 04:34Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
misty7
----------
Hobbyist
female canada
Thanks!

It needs fish, though - can't wait!!
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2006 04:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Falesha13
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 65
Votes: 5
female usa
I just love the process of deciding which fish to buy when I get a new aquarium. I should be getting a 10 gal. soon (I know it doesn't even begin to compare to a 75 gal.) and I have already pondered the possibilities I am very envious, I only have a 55 gal. Keep us updated as you decide on fishies.
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2006 07:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Let's see ... 75 gallon setup ... and planted ... and very nicely aquascaped.

Tell you what I'd put in there:

20 Cardinals
16 Lemons or Rosy Tetras
16 Panda Corys
8 Otocinclus

and a nice pair of Apistogramma bitaeniata or similar dwarf Cichlids that would love that setup. In that setup, I could possibly get away with a pair of Checkerboard Cichlids as an alternative to the Apistos if they were hard to find.

If you're going with Harlequin Rasboras, beef that shoal up to 20 and watch the ensuing spectacle blow your socks off! Fishes I'd team with the Harlies would look something like this:

20 Harlequin Rasboras
16 Glowlight Danios (the natural species Danio choprae, not those horrible GM "glo fish"
1 pair Honey Gouramis
8 Botia sidthimunki loaches

If you're looking for something really unusual to team with your Harlequins, you could (in that size tank) try Telmatherina ladigesi, the Sulawesi Rainbow Fish, which as an adult is a blast of colour! However, I'd check first on water compatibility, as I think offhand the Sulawesi Rainbows might prefer harder and more alkaline water than the Harlequins. If they'll live in the same water as the Harlies, that would be some combination!

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2006 09:49Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
misty7
----------
Hobbyist
female canada
Actually, it looks like the Sulawesi Rainbows require brackish water, I think. I found a lot of references to a Celebes Rainbowfish which comes from Sulawesi, with the same latin name as the Sulawesi Rainbow.

I already have pandas, ottos and lemons in my 38gal, and was planning to get threadfin rainbows for the same tank in a week or so. It looks like we have similar tastes, Calilasseia!

Now, for the big tank, so far I'm thinking:

8 Pepper corys
10 Harlequin Rasboras (possibly more)
4 Yoyo loaches (or dwarf loaches, but I haven't seen them at the LFS to date)

And I'd like to have 2-3 medium to large-ish fish, such as:
Blue Gourami, Moonbeam Gourami, or Pearl Gourami
Angelfish, Rainbow Krib, or Lavendar Mbuna???

I don't know very much about the larger fish - any suggestions are welcome!!

Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2006 03:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
i think 3 female moonbeam gouramies would do fine, a nice looking(i was kinda surprised that these fish are over all that popular dispite their nice color) anyway, i would go all girls as they do become aggressive when breeding, and sometimes that just happens when u don't even plan on it happening.
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2006 03:32Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
misty7
----------
Hobbyist
female canada
Could I do something like 1 or 2 of the Gouramis and 1 or 2 of one of the chiclids, ie one Moonbeam Guorami and 2 Angelfish? Or some combination like that?
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2006 03:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
yea i think that would be ok.
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2006 03:44Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies