L# freshwater flounder?
Subscribefreshwater flounder?
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
I've searched all over and found little info on these. The fish store was selling some and they look very interesting. I heard they travel to brackish or saltwater and can't live in freshwater permanently. Anyone have some good info on how to keep them?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:57Profile PM Edit Report 
xxmrbui3blesxx
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 905
Votes: 0
male usa
Hm.... I've seen them at my LFS and they just keep them in freshwater tanks. They only get to about the size of a quarter.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:57Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california
They are very hard to maintain. I wouldn't recommend anyone getting them unless they are an expert on flatfishes or a very, very experienced hobbyist who can provide them with the right living conditions. Even with excellent care, these fish are infamous for dying easily.

The most commonly imported species grow to 3-6" long, but some are smaller (like Mr. Bubbles said) while some grow larger (up to 9" or more).

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:57Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
Dishman
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 83
Votes: 2
male usa
I've made the freshwater flounder mistake. I just couldn't resist buying him. He lived about three months before he went to the great pond in the sky. I would avoid the temptation until you do some research to take proper care them. My lfs said to add salt for him but I didn't on account of my loaches. That may have been the problem. One other thing is that the really prefer sand. Good luck if and when you decide to get one, they are really cool fish.
AggieMarine
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 229
Votes: 12
male usa
They are really a brackish fish. Like freshwater morays, some can be kept in pure fresh water, but it certainly isn't ideal. They're also voracious and highly effective predators; no fish that could be swallowed is safe in a tank with a flatfish of any kind. Also, they are masters of camoflage and you may not see it for several days. Flatfishes also bury themselves and in the process can mess up tank decor.

[span class="edited"][Edited by aggiemarine 2004-07-09 12:14][/span]
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:57Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female usa
Maybe if I come up with an empty tank and learn some more about brackish water fish I'll try some flounder.
nano reefer
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 570
Votes: 3
male uk
Hey
I thought they got way to big for the aquareim and that they would die if they were'nt in the most experensed person
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:57Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female usa
3-6" wouldn't be too big but if the ones at my lfs get 9" or more I wouldn't have a tank big enough for them. I don't know enough to get them yet anyway... future idea
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies