SubscribeIdentify please
jmara
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 431
Votes: 145
male usa
EditedEdited by jmara
I have had my live rock for about 2.5 months. A week ago I got a new, better light. I had just a regular, single bulb fluorecent. Now I have a twin 65W CF (total of 130W) in my 29 gallon. Today I noticed something I hadn't seen before. Can you identify it? I am not familar with corals but to me it looks like a Bubble Coral. Thanks for the help!

To give you a size, it's about the size of a pencil eraser.

Attached Image:

Unknown Creature

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2006 08:47Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
jmara
----------
Big Fish
male usa
BTW, ignore the pest anemone on the lower right I have to get some peppermint Shrimp to take care of them. I thought I had taken care of the source but now I'm finding more

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2006 08:49Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ckk125
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 285
Votes: 71
male malaysia
i just know that it is a bubble algea and it is not good.
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2006 10:29Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
Yeah, that looks like bubble algae to me. As far as I know, it isn't harmful to any marine creatures, but many people consider it to be an unsightly nuisance. It can be a real pain to get rid of, too. Supposedly emerald (or mithrax) crabs will eat it, but I've also heard that they just pop the bubbles and spread their fluid sacs through the water.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2006 14:38Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
We get them at work every once in a while. You want to make sure you don't pop the sack because it will spread the spores around.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2006 15:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
jmara
----------
Big Fish
male usa
well darn...what luck do I have Should I try to remove that piece of live rock and wash it off?

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2006 15:16Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
If you can then remove the piece of rock from the tank. Try to scrape the bubble from the bottom so it doesn't go squish and pop everywhere. Popped bubbles spread spores. Smaller bubbles are quite solid and actually rather hard to squish with your hands but the larger they get the easier they squish and spread. Rinse off that spot on the rock with saltwater especially if it broke and replace in the tank. Watch for more bubbles. Sometimes bubble algae can spread like crazy and take over a tank and sometimes it isn't so bad. I've had a few bubbles I can't get rid of without risking popping them over the tank. They've been there a month and haven't spread but I've seen some tanks that were just coated in the stuff.
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2006 16:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
The most effective way to get rid of it is to remove the affected rock and totally scrub it, or at least the areas of it with the algae. The downside is that you may well kill off everything else growing there. Personally, I think that a little bubble algae is tolerable, especially if it isn't spreading. That's just me though, many folks hate the sight of it.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2006 18:59Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
Bubble algae.

Get a pair of emerald crabs. They love the stuff.

I think foxfaces might eat it as well? I could be making that up though.

I just pluck them off the rock like grapes off a vine. No need for rock scrubbing IMO, too much work and they always come back. I kinda think they look cool. No worries.

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2006 02:49Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies