Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeYellow Wrasse.
ckk125
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 285
Votes: 71
male malaysia
i havent seen him for weeks since disappearing a few weeks ago..i couldnt find any dead body and there arent any cleaner crew in my tank...are they good jumpers?

Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2006 11:44Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
Indeed, they are very good jumpers, especially when startled. Also if startled or harrassed they have a tendancy to bury themselves in the sand.
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2006 03:07Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
And, well, if they buried themselves in the sand and then died, you probably will never see any remains.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2006 11:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
First question - have you experienced an ammonia spike in the aquarium during the 'period of disappearance'? If so, it's possible that your Yellow Wrasse has died in the substrate where any creatures that might have eaten it can't reach it. If you haven't had an ammonia spike, then there are two possibilities - one, the fish is still alive but staying hidden for some reason, and two, the fish has gone carpet surfing. While I would not say it is impossible for your Yellow Wrasse to remain hidden for this length of time and remain alive, as time passes the probability drops somewhat, and so I would start looking to see if you can see anything that looks like it is (or was) a dead fish somewhere on the floor.

Having said that, it's amazing where fishes can find themselves and survive. Several people here have posted some amazing survival accounts of fishes that ended up in external canister filters, for example, and managed to survive some time before being discovered. Plus, anyone who has kept Kuhlii Loaches in freshwater knows how easily they can disappear for months on end, only to reappear suddenly when least expected. Even Otocinclus can do that in a sufficiently well furnished aquarium - I've had to go to the trouble of stripping the Panda Fun Palaceā„¢ and netting them to count them before today.

Prepare yourself for the worst, and if your Yellow Wrasse DOES turn up alive, crack open the champagne to celebrate!

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2006 17:22Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies