Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe29G Just Set Up
venustus
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
male usa
i just set up my 29g tank how long should i wait before getting fish for this tank?
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2006 00:19Profile PM Edit Report 
blazeybird
-----
Banned
Kudos: 24
Votes: 2
male usa
oh boy.... Ok, Let me get you a link for cycling......

Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2006 00:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
blazeybird
-----
Banned
Kudos: 24
Votes: 2
male usa
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2006 00:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ethan14
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 339
Votes: 18
male usa
Well actually the cycle won't start until there is a source of ammonia. Are you planning on doing fishless cycling? If not then you can get fish a few days after you set up the tank... just to make sure it doesn't leak and all of the equipment works. I would also reccomend you read up on the cycle at the link blazeybird provided if you aren't familiar with it before picking up any fish. Good luck.
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2006 01:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
venustus
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
male usa
thanks guys
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2006 01:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
EditedEdited by Babelfish
Check with us before adding fish please . We'll help make sure everything goes smoothly.

If you have the time to do a fishless cycle that's the easiest on the inhabitants of the tank. It'll prevent any unnecessary stress or deaths. You can aquire your ammonia source that starts the cycling process from some flake food, or from a bottle of unscented uncolored ammonia that you can buy for rather cheap from the drug store or grocery store.

If you have to add fish please make sure that they are cycle hardy. All fish suffer stress from witstanding the cycling process, but some are able to survive better than others .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2006 01:58Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
If you plan on adding any live plants, do it now. If you choose to go with a fish-ful cycling live plants will help keep the ammonia and nitrite levels down, which is much better for the fish.

Fishless cycling is alot better, so you aren't stressing the fish with the ammonia levels. If you can get your hands on some pure ammonia (no additives, surfactants, or scents), I'd go that route. Sometimes it is faster than cycling with fish. You just have to look at an empty tank for a few weeks, but atleast you aren't hurting the fish.

Either way, read up on the nitrogen cycle, so you'll know what happens during this time.

I'd pick up a test kit if you don't already have one. I'd get a master kit that has tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. The first 3 are the most important, but your pH is good to know.

Good luck!

And yes, please check with us before adding any fish. Many times beginners pick out fish and their LFS or LPS sells them to them, not telling about the fish's needs or tank size. People end up buying a bunch of fish that will outgrow their tanks and then get mad when we recommend taking them back. Do some research (including this forum) so you'll know what fish are appropriate for your tank size./:'

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2006 05:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
One thing required is "Wait" and do not be in a hurry or the next posting will be HELP all my new fish dead. Get your water tested to make sure it is ready to add the fish. Also before this have a good look around to see what you would like, then post the list before you buy any fish at all. I think you will get a wider range of choices here rather that the local LFS. Finally you will have to add the fish correctly and slowly meaning adjusting them to your tank conditions and too many fish at one will cause a mini cycle hence more problems.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2006 05:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies