L# Golden 20Gallon?
   L# Pages: 1, 2
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGolden 20Gallon?
oldfishnewfish
Hobbyist
Kudos: 16
Votes: 1
hey guys this is kinda off topic but does anyone know a website where i can get some fishtanks for a good price because i have been looking at albino tiger oscars but it says they need 55 gallon tanks minimum....
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 01:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
no site really has them for cheap, but you might find someone local thats selling or giving their tank away at http://www.craigslist.com
http://www.ebay.com
or
http://www.aquabid.com

check those (on aquabid and ebay do an advanced search for people within X number of miles from you)...

GOOD LUCK FINDING ONE,
-Bradon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 02:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
oldfishnewfish
Hobbyist
thanks brandon i will check those out later
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 03:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
oldfishnewfish
Hobbyist
do you guys think i could do like a clean up crew tank? like with some shrimp, corys, and mabey for some color like some tetras? or will the shrimp and corys fight... also if i put in live plant will they give off enough algae or do i need some of the algae tablet things...
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 03:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
well for any shrimp or algae/bottom feeder its best to supplement their feeding with a bit of algae tablets, vegetables, etc so you should be fine with corries, cherry shrimp or ghost shrimp (they are most common and hardy) along with cardinal or etc tetras.

Look at the stocking keithgh has on his ~11 gallon tank as you could simply recreate it with your tank to create a natural and beautiful display.

Live plants will help but do not actually 'Produce' algae, rather they are just another surface for it to grow on...

you could do like 15 cardinal tetras, 10 pygmy corries, and like 60 cherry shrimp.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 05:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
oldfishnewfish
Hobbyist
really you think i could do that many shrimp in just a 20 gallon?
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 05:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
oldfishnewfish
Hobbyist
oh and i was thinking on doing blue pearl shrimp if i could find them as my gravel is blue so the colors would go better but if i cannnot find them i will go with cherry shrimp
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 06:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 26-Jan-2009 02:56
This post has been deleted
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I bought my Cherry Red Shrimp privately at a fraction what shops would sell them at. I paid $3 each and that included delivery.
Shrimp Infomation
I found this info before I bought any.
One thing I do know you must have the tank established and well set up for them as they like to climb and have a place to call their own like my Anubias only the Khuli loaches go there.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2009 03:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Personally I would get a 75 gallon rather than a 55. 55 gallon tanks are, IMO, very restrictive. I'm not the only one that has distaste for the 55 gallon size... Plus, while many people quote the 55 gallon as a good tank size for an Oscar, 75 gallons would be much better.

Zebra danios are fine, they are extraordinarly hardy. The colored version you saw is probably the "Glofish", which is the first genetically engineered pet to be produced on such a scale. Golden white cloud mountain minnows also have a bright color. Both species are hardy and active, providing color and activity to an aquarium.

The idea of a clean-up crew is a misnomer and completely false. A shrimp or catfish will eat leftover food, sure, but that just gets converted to feces. Feces and leftover food aren't really different when it comes to how clean your tank is. Having scavengers and bottom feeders does not result in the tank being any cleaner, and you still must do maintenance to remove waste.

Likewise, any algae that an algae eater might eat gets converted to waste product as well. Also, it is almost impossible for a tank to have enough algae to support even a single algae eater; you must feed your bottom feeders directly. Back when I started, I did not know this, and many of my algae eaters died due to starvation! Algae wafers and shrimp pellets are staple foods for bottom feeders.

I'm not discouraging you from doing a primarily bottom-feeder aquarium, I'm saying that you shouldn't get the wrong idea and expect that this aquarium will require any less maintenance or feeding than the next aquarium. Case in point, both my 125 gallon and 55 gallon aquariums are devoted to catfishes and I must feed them almost every day (actually, night, as they are nocturnal). My aquaria are not any cleaner than any other aquarium; I have to scrub as much algae, siphon as much waste, and do water changes as much and as often as the next guy.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2009 23:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies