Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGot a tank for tropicals
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 11
Votes: 0
female newzealand
I am still looking at to which one thinking Pearl Danio.. Would this be correct way of looking at it keeping to the places the fishes would have come from. Like asian fishes keep to the asian, Indian fishes and so on..

They say fishes are dumb, because humans need to be smarter in keeping the fishes alive.
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2008 09:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Shinigami
Tropical fish live in the tropics. There is very little temperature fluctuation with the seasons there.

Hillstream loaches can't take water as cold as goldfish can.

Yes, you need to be careful about the gravel type. Usually if it says it's safe for freshwater than it'll be okay. What you can do to test it is to use a bit of vinegar; if it fizzes and bubbles, then it's producing carbon dioxide (think of the baking soda/vinegar volcano reaction). This means that it will increase the pH.

For most tropical fish a pH of 7.0 is good, although many tropical fish also appreciate a slightly acidic pH of about 6.5.

You do not have to set your tank at 86F to keep a dwarf gourami, you can set it at about 76-77F, as brandeeno said.

All of the fish you listed do originate from Asia. I've read the danio and harlequin have overlapping ranges in the Indonesia region, but the dwarf gourami is a little bit away from them in India and Bangladesh. There is no need to be too strict about where your fish come from (unless you want to be). As a beginner that's something that you shouldn't worry too much about at first. You can just get whatever you like as most tropical fish have generally the same water requirements.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2008 13:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
female newzealand
Thanks for the pointer on the hillstream loaches well i had a lady in the pet shop tell me that they can live without heater like goldfishes and yes upon research even though i did so prior to getting them thought so.

I will do that test as stated when i get the gravel. I do like the natrual looking stones as opposed to the bright colourful ones so hopefully with the natrual ones it should be ok.

They say fishes are dumb, because humans need to be smarter in keeping the fishes alive.
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2008 22:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 10-Jul-2008 22:49
This post has been deleted
DeletedPosted 10-Jul-2008 22:49
This post has been deleted
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
Also check ebay and aquabid for decor and plants. I got 16 nice quality plastic plants for under a dollar each. They would have been anywhere from $2-$6 at a Pet Store.

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2008 22:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
good deal... why not try live plants though? they lok ever so much nicer... plastics aer beter for the goldies! although a bargain like that is hard to pass up!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2008 02:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
Well since shes just starting out, I figured she might be in the market for faux plants. She can always remove the plastics if/when she wants a planted tank.

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2008 02:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
female newzealand
Thanks for the suggestion katie. But I love a well planted tank with live plants my goldfishes has live plants which every three months i replace as we all know what goldfishes do to them but that is no issues to me thats what they do.
But I have heard the trops are more kinder to the plants. And if i wanted plastic plants there is a good few on the local website trade me which is where i go mostly and there are some good plastic plants but i prefer the live ones.

Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2008 03:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
female newzealand
Ok here is my list of fishes i have been looking at and also i will keep researching before i make the final descussion. I will do the list and then another list of the fishes i like the look of and someone can help with putting up the numbers.

Bandit catfish
Leopard Cory
Glowlight,Cardinal and Black tetra's
Siamese algae eater
Harliquin Rasbora
Dwarf croaking Gourami
Pearl Gourami
Sunset dwarf gourami
Guppy
Molly and Platy
Pearl Danio

This is the list of the fishes I would be inclined to put in my tank
Bandit catfish
The three tetra spieces
Siamese algae eater and the
Pearl Gourami i just like thier colour's and to test the hardness of my tank will be Pearl Danio's

Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2008 04:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
H-Dub
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 19
hmm, I may be heasitant with the SAE (I believe I heard they can be a bit aggressive when older and heard horror stories of them sucking on the slim coats of other fish..) other than that your list looks alright.. What numbers of stocking do you plan to use for the tetras?
Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2008 02:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
female newzealand
Really well according to the profile on this website about the siamese algae eaters they are peaceful and often is confused with the other algae eater of its kind i will drage the name out.

And as for the tetra's I am not sure about the numbers ideally i'd like to go 6 of each but i know if i do that i will pushing the space. but recomendations schools of 6 or more if i was to combine the numbers say 3 of each would that be ok..

Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2008 07:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
female newzealand
EditedEdited by TravelingGypsy
http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/638.htm h-dub this will be the one you might be getting mixed up with I will edit this info with the profile on the siamese algae eater http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/395.htm i am still deciding on that because i am planning to put some cory speices and looking at that thier behaviour may annoy the cories..

Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2008 07:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
H-Dub
-----
Fingerling
ah yes sorry in all my forums traveling most people are talking about the "wrong" one.. hate comnmon names dude. sorry
3 of each type would prolly be just fine.. all in what YOU want more schools of less or less schools of more.. and i know thae first will make your tank more "exciting"
Post InfoPosted 14-Jul-2008 04:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
H-Dub
-----
Fingerling
oops I forgot to say thanks for dragging that out for me!
Post InfoPosted 14-Jul-2008 04:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
It would be "okay" to have 3 of two species of tetras, but IMO it's much better to have one big school. This is especially true if you choose two very dissimilar species of tetra.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 14-Jul-2008 14:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies