L# Getting Started
  L# Gouramis And Chichlids
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGouramis And Chichlids
oldfishnewfish
Hobbyist
Kudos: 16
Votes: 1
hey i am thinking of mabey getting a tank with some..... gouramis, and if i remember them courectly, real colorful fish, i think they are called chichlids. would some gouramis be okay with chichlids? or will this lead to fighing and possible death..
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2009 05:37Profile PM Edit Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
it depends on tank size and wat gouramis or way cichlids....
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2009 06:03Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Generally gourami are peaceful towards non-cichlids, so I wouldn't worry about anything from the gourami to the cichlids. So it definitely depends on what cichlids you are talking about. Some, like rams, would make appropriate tankmates for gourami, as they are small and peaceful. However, the most colorful cichlids are those from the African rift lakes, which tend to be quite aggressive and can't really be kept with much else except other African cichlids. Plus, rift lake cichlids prefer a different water chemistry (hard, high pH) than gourami do.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2009 19:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 17-Jan-2009 19:21
This post has been deleted
DeletedPosted 17-Jan-2009 19:22
This post has been deleted
oldfishnewfish
Hobbyist
Kudos: 16
Votes: 1
hmm.... what about instead of putting gouramis and chichlids in a 30 gallon tank. what if i put some angle fish in it? is that enought room for a couple of angle fish? if so does anyone know what type of angle fish are the hardiest? and also mabey what type of fish are okay with anglefish?
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2009 22:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
you may be able to do one angelfish in a 30G,but keep in mind there fins get quite long when their fully grown and mature,if you choose to do this a viable option might be to ugrade to a larger tank in the future.you could go with a rift lake cichlid tank,and put some malawis in it.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2009 23:03Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I have gouramis in with a Bolivan Ram, which is a fairly peaceful cichlid from South America. The Ram is a beautiful fish and does not really take issue with the gouramis beyond the normal little territorial squabbles from time to time.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2009 01:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I also have Bolivian Rams with Opaline Gourami.
The Rams prefer middle to bottom and the Gourami middle to top.
Naturally they do cross over and all the years I have kept these there has never been any problems at all. If there has I have never seen it.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2009 10:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies