Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMy tropical tank set up.
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 11
Votes: 0
female newzealand
I already have the said tank that had the goldfishes in it but I put them to a bigger tank and in the tank is just the minnows.

So yes it would be the exact same filter's.. Are you saying that I could put the filter from that tank to the new tank to help with the cycling???

Another question since i am getting a Dwarf gourami there is a food out on the market that is specified for bettas would i be able to also feed this to the gourami since they are of the same species line???

They say fishes are dumb, because humans need to be smarter in keeping the fishes alive.
Post InfoPosted 16-Sep-2008 09:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kkens
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 67
Votes: 36
Moving the entire filter over would work but would leave your old tank without a filter. If you can move part of the filter material over to the new filter it will help with the cycle. For example, I use aquaclear filters and they hold two rectangular foam blocks. If I want to set up a new tank I put a foam block from one of my running filters into the new filter and I'm ready for fish.
This might not be easy for you, depending on what type of filters you already have. It's just a quicker way of getting the cycle going in the new tank when you already have cycled tanks.
Post InfoPosted 16-Sep-2008 22:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
female newzealand
one of the coldwater tank is excactly the same as the one that will be coming to me which is going to be the tropical.
So the filters will be the same. And the tank coming to me will have the filter medium in the tank to set up the filter ready to go and also i have a few spares for the tank. and the filter mediums are sponges. I have a sponge which helps with the bacteria would that be the one i'd be best to put to the tank i am setting up and then replacing it in the tank already going.. That tank is due for a few change of filters as I only do it once a year and do it before summer kicks in.

They say fishes are dumb, because humans need to be smarter in keeping the fishes alive.
Post InfoPosted 17-Sep-2008 02:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kkens
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 67
Votes: 36
Yes, the sponge contains the bacteria for the cycle and by transferring it to the new tank you don't have to wait for new bacteria to colonize it. You won't be able to fully stock the tank immediately but you shouldn't have to worry about ammonia or nitrite spikes.
If you are going to dispose of the old sponge anyway I would rinse it out in tank water and install it in the new filter when the tank is ready. You could also cut the sponge in half and leave half for the old filter.
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2008 00:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
female newzealand
Cheers for that tip. Since I am going from 1 tank to three When i do the maintaince of I am now putting the plants and ornaments into the other tank while I clean the gravel. Can I also do this with my trops???
So technically every time I clean the tanks there will be different ornaments and plants in there plus a few snails i missed. And of course i wouldnt do it if I have a tank of sick fishes.

Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2008 08:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies