Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew 29g freshwater, any ideas?
caveman
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 38
male usa
EditedEdited by caveman
So I did freshwater a couple of years ago, got bored and converted to salt, and now I'm heading back. I'm setting up a 29g freshwater and originally I wanted to do a pretty basic angel-tetra-cory setupd, but I figured that I may as well ask for any ideas here...I'm game for any unusual setups or just a nice basic freshwater.

One thing I've never done in freshwater is introduce plants...if I choose to introduce plants, what kind of substrate do you suggest and what kind of plants are good starters?

I'm using a Stealth heater, I want to say 150 volts. Maybe 100. Anyways I haven't been having any trouble with that or my Penguin BioWheel 150 filter. I just junked an old powerhead and I think I'm going to go buy a new one to make sure I'm getting the surface agitation I want.

Oh yes, and I was pretty active on this site a year or two ago, but haven't been on for months, so don't bite my head off if these things are being talked up somewhere else (not that this forum's bad that way, cause it's not).

Thanks in advance.

caveman
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 01:44Profile PM Edit Report 
Fish Guy
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1254
Votes: 2
male canada
In terms of plants, i would go with a sand sudstrate and really any live plant is not that hard to keep. The only one I would stay away from is Amazon Swords, b/c they require high nutrition, but dwarf swords are avaiable. For fish I like what you suggested I go with the following:
2 Angels
6 zebra danios
6 bleeding heart tetras
5 cories
2 ottos
Id try and stay away from the small tetras b/c the angels may eat them as they get larger.
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 12:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
Different plants have different requirements. Some are very easy to keep. Others are a little more difficult, this simply means they require more light/nutrients or are more delicate : )

The stock list by Caveman is ok but with 2 angels in there is pushing the limit as they are somewhat territorial and can grow pretty large. Heavily plant to establish territories, and watch those nitrates.

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 15:07Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
EditedEdited by GirlieGirl8519
I don't recommend sand for plants. It would be fine if you were using plants like java fern and anubias that would be attached to wood or rocks. But for stem plants, crypts, and heavily rooted plants (like swords) I would stay away from sand. Some people have had success with it, but I wouldn't chance it, especially after spending alot of money on plants.

Depending on how much you want to spend, some choices for substrate are: regular 2-3mm gravel, Eco-Complete, and Flourite. The Eco is black and contains some good bacteria already, and you don't have to rinse it. The Flourite is red and iron-rich and you have to rinse it many times.

You can always use regular gravel though. It grows plants just fine...just make sure it is small.

For stocking, I agree with DaMossMan, that 2 angels would be too much. It is harder to put two angels together as opposed to 1 or 3 because they may or may not get along. With 3 they can disperse their aggression (if they have any). If you go with an angel, just get one. I think when the angel gets full grown, the tank will be quite crowded with 2 schools of fish and the angel. I also think an angel would make a 29g tank look quite small. But its your choice.

I would up the cory school to 6 or 8. And up the ottos to 3 or 4 depending on the amount of algae you have.

Add the ottos only after you have algae present. And they would appreciate a planted tank.

Heavily plant the tank with crypts, stem plants, and maybe a small sword (Rosette swords are small).

Do you know how much light you will have over the tank?

If you don't do the angel, you could have an opaline or blue gourami or a ram for centerpiece.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 18:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
caveman
-----
Big Fish
male usa
Thanks all.

I think I'll go with a small grain gravel substrate and try a few plants, maybe some dwarf swords to highlight. Only having one angel appeals to me, though the zebra danios don't...and I can see your point with the smaller tetras...I don't want my angel snacking on a bunch of neons when it gets big.

As far as light goes, I've just got the basic bulb the hood came with...I realize I'll need to upgrade if I do plants. Any suggestions there?

Algae's not really a problem; I'd probably be okay with two ottos...but I will make sure there's some established stuff before I add them.

Thanks again

caveman
Post InfoPosted 09-May-2006 08:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Depending on how much you want to spend on the lights, the'es a few places you can get them online, or do a DIY either from the online sites like hello lights]www.hellolights.com[/link] or [link=A H supply. I purchaced my light supplys from home depot for around $30 Big als and that fish place are big for premades.
The biggest thing you can do for increasing the ammount of light (in addition to upgrading the actual lights) is to get a glass top for the tank.

On the substrate issue. Home depot can once again be your friend. Look for Shultzes aquatic plant soil. Most all home garden centers would have it as well. Smaller than pea gravel it's good for plants as they can easily get their roots through it.

I've heard that angels introduced after smaller tetras have been established into the tank oftentimes works.

Welcome back to the fresh side *snaps fingers*

^_^

Post InfoPosted 09-May-2006 10:47Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Two Tanks
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 328
Votes: 13
female usa
From my experience, danios can be an aggravation to larger long finned, or slow moving fish. They won't do any actual harm to your angel, but they do tend to be nipppy and I have had problems with mine in the past.
Post InfoPosted 09-May-2006 17:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
caveman
-----
Big Fish
male usa
Thanks for the input.

Babelfish--sorry, I should have specified about the light thing. About two years ago, after a major crash where I lost about half my stock, I sat down on my bed in frustration--onto my tank's hood. The glass part broke, and while I was able to salvage the light portion nicely, I had to buy a new glass top that I was then able to set the light part on.

So I don't need a new glass top, but I will get a new bulb.

I'm planning to introduce some tetras first (maybe after the danios) to help break it all in, so I'm hoping that Babelfish's idea of putting tetras in, letting them establish, and then dropping an angel in will work nicely.

And yeah, I don't like danios. If they're cheap, I might pick up a couple, but I'd rather get some tetras. We'll see what the LFS has tonight .

I've got a Home Depot about 15 min away, so I'll have to look into that.

Thanks all.
Post InfoPosted 10-May-2006 02:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies