Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew HOB filter
coltsfan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 75
Votes: 6
male usa
I'm wanting to get a new HOB filter for my 30g, the topfin filter that my aquarium came with is fine but I am just looking for something a little better quality. I am wanting some suggestions on HOB filters that you all would recomend. What do you all think of the Tetra Whisper power filters? I'm going to the petshop this weekend so I'd like to have a few ideas before I go!

Justin

Colts Fan For Life
30g platy tank: 2 sunburst wag platys, 2 redtailed white calico platys, 2 red wag platys, 1 fry(not sure who it belongs to), 1 Golden CAE.
Bettas:1 VT male
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2008 09:09Profile PM Edit Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I have two tanks, one 10g and one 20g. I have Aqua Clear HOB filters on each of them and I cannot say enough good about these filters. They are easy to set up, easy to maintain and change media, they run well, they are not loud, and they are not terribly expensive. You can probably find one for a 30g tank for around $30 US dollars. And,t hey are fairly easily found. Many LFS carry them, or you can order them from www.liveaquaria.com.

Aqua Clear = good stuff!

good luck, lets us know what you choose!
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2008 16:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Whispers are a good, long-standing filter; they've been around for ages, so they must be doing something right, eh?

I also have an Aquaclear and an Emperor. They are both great filters as well! For your tank size, one of the smaller Penguin models will be appropriate rather than the Emperors.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2008 17:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
i have an aquatech, and several whispers... all good stuff... the aquatech isnt high quality but it gets the job done well... i also have one of those all in one hoods by eclipse for my 29g... if you have the cash that is an excellent way to go!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2008 21:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
EditedEdited by divertran
I have two of the topfins on two 30 g tanks. They work wonderfully. Aquaclear is a good choice also, I've two of them also and love them. as for the tetra whisper you mentioned, not a fan, had one on a ten gal and it didn't have enough flow to it, replaced it with an aquaclear.
Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2008 01:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
I too cast my vote for the Aquaclear. Easy to maintain and good water movement. I have a top fin and Tetra as well. but I prefer the Aquaclear.

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2008 01:29Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
I have an aquaclear that has not missed a beat since 2002 (maybe '01)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2008 04:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I've really only used Aquaclears.

My first filter was a topfin, always worked fairly well for me. Only problem I had with it is how they designed the cartridges to be throwaway, and with them all your lovely bacteria.

I'd go with an aquaclear rated for a 50 gallon tank .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2008 07:44Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
I've had some luck with the top fins. but I recently switched over all of my HOB filters over to Magnum HOTS and like them much better.

main thing I like over them, is there is less noise from the water movement (when the tank gets a little lower). and then if you use glass lids, you can put the black plastic strips on the back and get more coverage and less water evaporation will happen

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2008 15:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
coltsfan
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Thanks for the replies, I have looked at the aquaclears and am probably going to purchase one. I have always heard you should choose a filter rated for the next size up in gallons, I have a 30g tank should I choose one rated for a 40-50g? I'm going thursday I'll let ya know what I choose.

Justin

Colts Fan For Life
30g platy tank: 2 sunburst wag platys, 2 redtailed white calico platys, 2 red wag platys, 1 fry(not sure who it belongs to), 1 Golden CAE.
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2008 08:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
I would go a bit higher in rating like that. I wouldnt hurt anything. I'm actually like that on all of my tanks. My 40g filter is rated for a 65. My 55, I have 2 filters on it for my huge flower horn and am rated near 100g. and my big 150, i'd be at about 300. so i over filter on all of mine. I'd rather be over than under

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2008 14:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
On my 125 gallon I have the Aquaclear 500 (now called Aquaclear 110) and an Emperor 400. Usually you want pretty good flow. Although there are exceptions, I find using the flow of the filter to be a good guideline. Filters are usually marked with their flow in gallons per hour. The Aquaclear rated up to 50 gallon has 200gph, which would filter your 30g 6 times an hour, which ain't bad.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2008 17:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
coltsfan
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Well, I bought the aquaclear rated for 50g. I will be adding it this week when I do my regular tank maintenance. I'll let you all know how I feel about it after it has been running a few days

Justin

Colts Fan For Life
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2008 07:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
I look forward to your review.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 05:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
coltsfan
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
EditedEdited by coltsfan
Well I have had my aquaclear running since thursday and so far I am pretty impressed. I really like the 3 stage filtration aspect, it really does keep my water crystal clear. The only thing is that it isn't as quiet as my topfin was, but it still is a lot quieter than some filters I have been around. So far I have to say that I give it a big !

Justin

Colts Fan For Life
Post InfoPosted 10-Feb-2008 09:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies