SubscribeNew tank! Many questions.
fishsage
-----
Hobbyist
Tank You Daddy.
Kudos: 53
Votes: 16
male canada
Ok, a friend gave us a complete 20 gallon tall setup. Woo Hoo!
As some of you are aware, we have been cycling a 10 gallon as a quarantine tank. Many have said this is too small.
So, question 1 is, can I transfer all gravel, rocks, etc from the 10 gallon to the 20 gallon? And what will this do to the cycle?
Question 2 relates to the remaining 10 gallon setup, Can we set it up as a hospital tank, and do we need to cycle it as it will be bare bottom? Should we just keep the HOB from the 10 on the 20 tall in conjunction with the other HOB and set up the 10G as necessary?
Good start, more questions to come!
Fun times

55G -5x Bosemani, 3x Emerald Cory,3x Red Rainbow, 3x Turquoise Rainbow. 20G-Empty. 10G -4x Danio 3x Cory Fry 1 Gold Mystery Snail. 10G- 1x CAE, 2x Tetra 1x ADF
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2008 00:46Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Yes you can transfer everything over to the 20, the cycle will only be partially delayed. How are you cycling the tank?

Hospital tanks don't really need to be cycled, many of the medications will simply kill off the bacteria anyway. One way would be to run two filters on your other tank and transfer it over when its needed.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2008 01:04Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
You can transfer every thing across without a problem just do it quickly and try not to stir up the substrate when changing the water. You can try placing a small plate or even a small bowel and pour directly on to that. The filter will pick up a lot of dirt there I would give it a good wash in some of the tank water in a few days time.

I would also add a good bacteria at the change over time like Sera Nitrivec or Stress Zyme both are excellent products.

Just a tip measure the amount of water you put into the 20g and you will find out it will not be 20g this is very handy if you have to use meds at any time and you know the exact Gall of your tank.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2008 02:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishsage
-----
Hobbyist
Tank You Daddy.
Kudos: 53
Votes: 16
male canada
It's done, not as hard as I thought either!
I used my gravel vac, put 5 gallons into a bucket, added an airstone, put the fish in the bucket. Then siphoned off another 5 gallons (the rest) and transfered the gravel to the new tank. Once the new tank was in position, I reversed the process, adding decor ad fish last.
Next came 10 more gallons of water (Conditioned with stress coat) and then Stress Zyme.
I have a Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel and an Aqueon 10 running on the tank. I will pull the aqueon off for my 10 gallon if I need a quick hospital tank!
With the free tank, I also got an extra submersible heater, airpump, airstones, air control, a tonne of conditioner, food etc..... Good score!
Dan

55G -5x Bosemani, 3x Emerald Cory,3x Red Rainbow, 3x Turquoise Rainbow. 20G-Empty. 10G -4x Danio 3x Cory Fry 1 Gold Mystery Snail. 10G- 1x CAE, 2x Tetra 1x ADF
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2008 06:15Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Gaia
----------
Fingerling
Kudos: 25
Votes: 30
belgium
The hospital tank, not only that it is useless to cycle it, but I would keep it empty and fill it with water from the other tank when you need to treat sick fish in it, and run a sponge filter in your other tank as Babelfish says so you can use it in the small one when you need to quarantine new fish.
If you let the hospital tank running, just prepared to get some fish, probably you will end up housing some shrimp or betta or whatever in there, and when you will need the tank for sick fish or quarantine it will be busy.
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2008 12:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies