SubscribeReplacement for active carbon filter
orlichf
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 1
male australia
Hi,
I have a Eheim Liberty 150 hang-on filter in my 20G/70 Lt tank, which has now finaly been cycled. I have been reading these forums in regards to the use of active carbon filters and it seems like the consensus is that I don’t need the active carbon filter. The unit comes with 3 filter inserts - 1 active carbon, 1 large foam biofilter and 1 small foam biofilter.

Question is - Now that I have decided not to use the carbon filter, what should I fill the 2 vacant filter slots with?
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2008 02:09Profile PM Edit Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
I would keep the two foam filters in, as they would act as mechanical Filters as well, as for the extra slot, something like Biomax. A ceramic type of Biofilter. Lots of surface area for bacteria to grow.

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2008 02:32Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
orlichf
-----
Small Fry
male australia
Sounds good. I have slots for proprietary Eheim filter media kits to be inserted. Can Biomax be just put in the vacant spot
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2008 02:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Ya I agree with jim, the more surface area you have for the bacteria to grow the better, and that's what the ceramic rings provide.

If needed carbon can always be added to the intake or near outflow of the filter. Anywhere there is good water movement.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2008 05:46Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
What Eheim are selling for a filter material is nothing but red rock "Scoria" I use this as the first filtration material for my Eheim Pro11 and it is fantastic. If you went to a garden suppliers or Bunnings you would get plenty for basically nothing.

Caution it must be washes several times to remove all the red dust I also would boil the daylights out of it for about 10 min just in case of any contaminations.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2008 07:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
orlichf
-----
Small Fry
male australia
Ya kidding. Scoria!!!
I've got landscapers at my house today laying meters of red scoria in my garden.

Your telling me that I can scoop up a hand full, boil the crap out it and then load up my HOB
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2008 07:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
if you use the ceramics for the surface area/bacteria (which is a great idea...) keep some carbon filter media handy. It's great for removing meds after you're done dosing and also great for just getting the water especially crystal clear...

I use a sponge and the ceramic in my HOB AquaClear and just insert the carbon when I need it.
Post InfoPosted 25-Apr-2008 02:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
YES Eheim are actually selling it as EHFI LAV
They are basically saying it is a volcanic material suitable for filtration.

Take a few min and have a look at the Scoria it is porus, rough surfaced, and a very suitable material for drainage and being a rough surface gives a very good surface for the good bacteria. I wash it once a month in the Pro11 you would be surprised the gunk it collects before it moves up onto the ceramic filtration material.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 25-Apr-2008 03:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies